Will I regret this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I blew 2 cornies today, and I had a beer to keg. I would normally clean and sanitize every keg before re-use, but,....I just wasn't in the mood. So I cleaned and sanitized tho outside top of the corny, gently popped her open, and siphoned away. I'm not worried about flavor mixing, as it was a porter over a pale, but as far as sanitation is concerned, was this a stupid thing to do? Have any of you every done this before?

Thanks.

Sea said:
So I blew 2 cornies today, and I had a beer to keg. I would normally clean and sanitize every keg before re-use, but,....I just wasn't in the mood. So I cleaned and sanitized tho outside top of the corny, gently popped her open, and siphoned away. I'm not worried about flavor mixing, as it was a porter over a pale, but as far as sanitation is concerned, was this a stupid thing to do? Have any of you every done this before?

Thanks.

Personally I think you are playing with fire and you know what happens sometimes when you play with fire......

I would have spent 10 minutes rinsing it out, then filling with hot water and PBW and shaking it around after running some through the dip tubes and then let it sit. After a while, give it a hot rinse, then sanitize with starsan, drain, & purge with CO2.

The whole process can be completed in 30 minutes and you'll know your beer won't go bad.

I hope it goes OK for you, but I don't recommend making it a practice, cause some day you will get burned and all that work will go down the drain.

Thanks for the replies.

Bradsul, that's exactly what I was thinking, but Ed, your right about taking a risk. However, Many years ago, some friends informed me through a blinding hangover that I had treid to light up their drapes AND their carpet the previous evening, so apparently, I like playing with fire!

Even a 1/2 gallon of sanitizer thrown in and shaken up would have been better than nothing. An added bonus is running the sanitizer out of the keg through the beer out line to clean the dip tube and poppet.

Back