6 weeks, 5 batches in, I'm addicted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReuFroman

Reaction score
About 6 weeks ago I was selling a beer fridge on craigslist and sold it to a home brewer. He didn't have a truck to take it home so he paid me in a few growlers of home brew to deliver it. While delivering it (and sampling home-brews) he said he would teach me to all grain brew. So I came a few days later and helped brew. We made a nut brown variation. It's awesome. The next week I wanted to try. So I read the two most popular books on brewing and came back the next Friday with all the supplies and did my first all grain brew. It is an amazing Irish red. so the next week we did a stout. The week after that i made pumpkin and last week did another pumpkin because the primary tasted great and 5 gallons just wasn't enough. So I have been "head" brewer in 3 batches and asst brewer on 2 batches.

Why didn't anyone tell me this was so damn addictive?

cool story. And yes, it is addictive. I haven't even tasted my first batch and I'm counting funds to buy a second fermenter to get another one going.

My wife, soon to be wife actually (45 days), says it best,
"Go crazy, you love it, go really crazy."

I guess it doesn't help that I live in Micro Brewery Heaven. A little town Fort Collins, Colorado.

Yeah and bud is in town. There are a few other breweries in town that took home some metals at the gabf. 9 within 15 minute drive.

One batch into the "hobby", a dark Irish stout that is nearly half consumed already. Imagine that!

I have a desire to brew up a lighter colored stout, oatmeal, using apple cider in the mix, replacing some of the water. Would more than welcome any advice about a ratio of cider to water. I'm thinking two gallons of water (enough to steep the wort) and the balance in cider...

About 6 weeks ago I was selling a beer fridge on craigslist and sold it to a home brewer. He didn't have a truck to take it home so he paid me in a few growlers of home brew to deliver it. While delivering it (and sampling home-brews) he said he would teach me to all grain brew. So I came a few days later and helped brew. We made a nut brown variation. It's awesome. The next week I wanted to try. So I read the two most popular books on brewing and came back the next Friday with all the supplies and did my first all grain brew. It is an amazing Irish red. so the next week we did a stout. The week after that i made pumpkin and last week did another pumpkin because the primary tasted great and 5 gallons just wasn't enough. So I have been "head" brewer in 3 batches and asst brewer on 2 batches.

Why didn't anyone tell me this was so damn addictive?

Its very addictive. I started out brewing extract and did that for about a year. Now I am brewing all grain and have not stopped... some advice I can give you that I was very very resistant to at first. I always followed directions by adding beer to secondary fermenter about a week later. I even had a post explaining that not racking beer to secondary was lazy. I was wrong again.. then for humor sake and to clear my mind I left a batch in primary for three weeks then racked to keg... dammmmmm it was the best beer I have ever had... It was full of flavor and no off flavors. So my advice to you leave it in the primary for at least 3 weeks 5 if you can stand it... then carefully rack it to bottleing bucket or keg... You will not be dissappointed. I thanks Revvy for that.... even though he thinks I am a Troll (*******).

I started a week before i joined the site. I brewed 4 5 gallon extract brews and realized how QUICKLY 5 gallons disapears so i said i would go to 10 gallons. Well 10 gallons led to All Grain but making or buying a chiller for 10 gallons wasn't gonna happen for a bit and im not gonna wait to brew, so i researched No Chill method and today i FINALLY got use it all! Just made 10 gallons of All Grain "Outback Amber Ale" and threw them in my "cubes"...:eek:

I love this addiction disguised as a hobby, people still think your crazy but they won't do anything about it!

Looking at making a flat harms system for Xmas. Cause...well who really cares besides its freaking awesome.

Back