Beer is kegged......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glavini

Reaction score
But I still haven't gotten my chest freezer yet. I racked the beer into the keg and it's just sitting in my fermentation chamber at the moment. Can I add the co2 and just let it sit in my chamber while I wait to pick up my freezer and build my keezer?

If so, what pressure should I set it to?

You can do it, what temperature does/can you get your chamber to? The colder the better...if you can get to 50-55F then you are at cellar temps. 5 gallons at 55F would need to be under about 20psi of CO2 to get to 2.5 volumes of CO2.

It's currently at 68, I'm fermenting a pumpkin beer as we speak. Should I just wait or could I start carbing now at 68 degrees?

You can start carbing with the CO2 tank now, and at any temperature, as long as you refer to the chart in the stickies to set your pressure.

So you have to:
* choose a carbonation level
* know the temperature of you beer
* check a chart like this one: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php (for higher temperature, google will help you find a different chart)
* set you pressure accordingly. In 1 week carbonation will be OK, in 3 weeks it will be perfect.

If you keg will sit at room temperature anyway, you can use priming sugar: boil 2.5oz of corn sugar in a quart of water, add this to your keg, seal the keg by hitting it with 30psi, unplug the CO2, and wait 3 weeks, like you would wait for a bottle.

I racked the beer into the keg and it's just sitting in my fermentation chamber at the moment. Can I add the co2 and just let it sit in my chamber

infact, you should always put the beer on CO2 immediately after putting it in the keg (unless naturally carbonating). you should also purge the headspace a few times to get oxygen out. even if you want to set it at 5psi just for storage and not try to force-carb it until you get your freezer, it should still be on gas for atleast a week or two. CO2 prevents oxygenation (duh) and inhibits growth of many bacteria.

Back