New Beer TV show on Discovery! "How Beer saved the world"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came across this on Craftbeer.com.... set your dvrs suckas

Discovery Channel Presents “How Beer Saved the World"

A new hour-long documentary will soon be premiering on the Discovery Channel. Discovery provided the following information on the program. "Did you know that beer was critical to the birth of civilization? That’s right—beer. Scientists and historians line up to tell the amazing, untold story of how beer helped create math, poetry, pyramids, modern medicine, labor laws, and America."
Watch January 30th on the Discovery Channel at 8 pm, PT and 11 pm, ET.
Our friend Horst Dornbush tipped us off to the new show, as he was interviewed several times during its making, and is excited about the show's focus on "the contributions beer has made to the welfare of humanity."
"This show is a must watch for beer enthusiasts," said Dornbush. "People have always benefited from beer, from the Sumerians and Egyptians, to the American Revolution; from the brewing techniques that ensured potable beer (as opposed to contaminated water) in the Middle Ages, to the evolution of microbiology, zillions of lives have been saved because of beer."

Yeah, there's at least 2 threads about it already.

=( Didnt see them or i wouldnt have posted this. :cross:
I posted links but the site was freaking out and giving me an error. guess they got deleted.

Maureen Ogle posted something about it this weekend on Facebook. She's in it. Here's what she posted;

New beer documentary airs Jan. 30th on Discovery. My part in it consisted of being the person who rolled my eyes a lot and explained why everyone else in it was full of s***.

Sounds like it's not going to be all that accurate, more like the old bs that she countered in her book. But still worth checking out. But with an open mind....Except I'm gonna be watching the Pro-bowl.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to DVR this. SWMBO is watching the SAG awards and has taken control of the tv for the night

Sorry Revvy et. al.: Did a search, found nothing... I deleted my thread.

I need more beer, obviously.

So cheesy. Catering to the meat head bmc drinker. The narrator and the constant "BEER saved the world" ruins this for me. Cool to see Bamforth though. Is mosher in this?

In space noone can hear you burp......

WTF?!?!?!?!?! Space beer has to be flat?!?!

I'm sure there's been plenty of burping up in space. I think he's FOS. I'll have to ask my astronaut doctor buddy about this.

I've only just put it on (it's halftime on the pro-bowl) and I'm not impressed. But I'll have to watch the whole things.

So cheesy. Catering to the meat head bmc drinker. The narrator and the constant "BEER saved the world" ruins this for me. Cool to see Bamforth though. Is mosher in this?

Agreed. It had a high school football mentality to it. Interesting on some level, but cheesy as hell. Oh well, at least it was positive towards beer.

If I took a sip every time they said the word beer, I'd be dead from alcohol poisoning. :drunk:

haha, that was a bit cheesy.. all tho somewhat entertaining. love how the monk dude didn't put down that pint at all and drank it all down in one 30 second sitting.

who wrote that script they said beer every 2 seconds i swear and some of the concepts where really pushing things... kinda funny....

o well

I like any show that has to do with beer, except this one. Wow!! That was pretty bad. The jokes, the idiots in the bars. It's too bad, I was looking forward to this show.

This hog show is more entertaining.

Revvy said:
In space noone can hear you burp......

WTF?!?!?!?!?! Space beer has to be flat?!?!

I'm sure there's been plenty of burping up in space. I think he's FOS. I'll have to ask my astronaut doctor buddy about this.

I've only just put it on (it's halftime on the pro-bowl) and I'm not impressed. But I'll have to watch the whole things.

Gas won't rise out of liquid in space. You will have little pukes instead.

People only drink 20 gallons a year???? Really? I drank nearly my entire hundred gallons a year myself....maybe 60?

What was the other thing they said? Back in the middle ages that each person drank 90 liters a year. 6 times more than today. Huh? I must drink a lot.

I missed the show but saw it was on again at 11:00. After reading this I'm glad I missed it. I can get some sleep tonight. :)

The best show on beer, imo was the Modern Marvels episode called "brewing". Great show. I dvr'd it and watch it from time to time.

What was the other thing they said? Back in the middle ages that each person drank 90 liters a year. 6 times more than today. Huh? I must drink a lot.

Beer in those days was 1-2% abv at best. It was their equivalent of water. It was NOT the beer we drink today. That was perhaps the only thing the show got right. :cross:

Beer in those days was 1-2% abv at best. It was their equivalent of water. It was NOT the beer we drink today. That was perhaps the only thing the show got right. :cross:

WRONG...Only the 2nd or 3rd runnings beers, called "table" "kids" or "small" beers where 1-2% ABV. Most beers were higher than that. They had everything from barleywines to our "average" abv beers. They didn't sparge, but often brewed partigyles, and made multiple beers from the same grain.

WRONG...Only the 2nd or 3rd runnings beers, called "table" "kids" or "small" beers where 1-2% ABV. Most beers were higher than that. They had everything from barleywines to our "average" abv beers. They didn't sparge, but often brewed partigyles, and made multiple beers from the same grain.

I hope you're pulling my leg.

Kinda presumptuous, no? References please. And don't tell me "Blank Expert Said So". Everyone is an expert in their own mind.

How did they crush the barley? Stone mills before they knew beer was beer? How did they measure ABV without hydrometers or some other modern piece of equipment? Floating weighted straw husks? How could modern man possibly even know what ABV they produced considering it would have evaporated thousands of years ago?

I respect what you say because clearly you are a man who knows his stuff, but I am a scientist by nature and I like facts.

I hope you're pulling my leg.

Kinda presumptuous, no? References please. And don't tell me "Blank Expert Said So". Everyone is an expert in their own mind.

How did they crush the barley? Stone mills before they knew beer was beer? How did they measure ABV without hydrometers or some other modern piece of equipment? Floating weighted straw husks? How could modern man possibly even know what ABV they produced considering it would have evaporated thousands of years ago?

I respect what you say because clearly you are a man who knows his stuff, but I am a scientist by nature and I like facts.

Uh...Just about any book on the history of brewing......

I admit that I've not read them. So please name the best one worth reading sir.

Grab any book and start reading.

Here's a bit on Partigyling for instance. http://***********/component/resource/article/2021-parti-gyle-brewing-techniques

Or the history of porters, or "shilling beers"

You could also search some of the historical references I've posted in here. Hell look at any info on DOgfish heads beers, both on here and elsewhere. All those beers were pretty strong.

I don't where you got your notions, but if you you can make flour for baking, you can make beer...and they've been making both since prior to ancient Babylon...if fact in the prayer to nikasi they outiline their recipe for brewing with bread. Google Bappir or Maltose Falcons Babylon brewing. Some of my stuff is here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/brewing-bread-209505/#post2459997

Besides you don't have to take a gravity reading to make a strong beer. X pounds of grain = Y abv points, so if they were using 10 pounds of grain for a 5 gallon batch of beer it sure as heck wasn't a 1-2% beer.

1-2% abv beers?!?! Sheesh.......

Back