Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nordoe

Reaction score
So I always keg with force carbing. My problem is that I am making beer faster then I can drink. I was going to by another corny keg and transfer my beer with sugar and condition until I empty one of the others. I have never used sugar and have a few questions, I am sure they are easy to answer. First is I read a lot of things about corn sugar, is that the same as priming sugar? If not, which is better to use? Also, do u just put the sugar in the keg, or do you put it in water and boil it first? If so, how much water for a 5 gallon batch?

Priming sugar (corn sugar) is fine, but you can use table sugar if you want.

Just boil up the sugar in a small amount of water, like maybe a cup or so, to dissolve it, and add it to your keg. You'll want to use about 1/2 the amount you would for bottling. I use 2.5 ounces of priming sugar by weight for a 5 gallon keg.

Just boil up the sugar in a small amount of water, like maybe a cup or so, to dissolve it, and add it to your keg. You'll want to use about 1/2 the amount you would for bottling. I use 2.5 ounces of priming sugar by weight for a 5 gallon keg.

Thanks. Do you just put it in the keg and rack on top of it.

Thanks. Do you just put it in the keg and rack on top of it.

yes thats what you do.

i'm curious as to why you don't force carb? its my understanding that once a keg is pressurized and the beer is carb you can disconnect the CO2 and it will stay carbed.

yes thats what you do.

i'm curious as to why you don't force carb? its my understanding that once a keg is pressurized and the beer is carb you can disconnect the CO2 and it will stay carbed.

I only have room for two kegs, and they are both semi full. I don't want to take them out until they are empty. Normally I do force carb.

why do you use less? will the kegs explode? how long could they sit in a keg?

Back