So, this is quite the suprise...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImCowman

Reaction score
So, my now bottle-conditioning brew took like 3 days to even start fermenting. No big, was expecting that.

However, the brew I JUST made on Thursday started crazy fermenting 12 hours in, stayed crazy fermenting for about 3 days, and now its not bubbling AT ALL. I'm not really panicking, I just want to know whats going on in there. I'm about to remove the blow-off and put in the little airlock, so I'll update if that changes anything (which it shouldn't). It seriously hasn't bubbled for about 24hrs.

Thanks in advance

Use the hydrometer. The only bubbles you should be watching for are the twin strippers on Saturday nights.

Very nice

And even if your hydro says it's done. Still let it sit for at least a week. The Yeasts do more than turn sugar into alcohol. They go back and clean up after them selves when they're done as well.

So, my now bottle-conditioning brew took like 3 days to even start fermenting. No big, was expecting that.

However, the brew I JUST made on Thursday started crazy fermenting 12 hours in, stayed crazy fermenting for about 3 days, and now its not bubbling AT ALL. I'm not really panicking, I just want to know whats going on in there. I'm about to remove the blow-off and put in the little airlock, so I'll update if that changes anything (which it shouldn't). It seriously hasn't bubbled for about 24hrs.

Thanks in advance

I'd say you're safe in swapping the blow-off for the airlock. You're probably done with the bulk of the fermentation, but you want to let the yeasts finish their work, as another poster said.

It's not surprising to have different batches perform differently in terms of fermentation times. A lot depends on the yeast, the beer and the temperature (the hotter, the faster). The only surprising thing here is that your previous batch took three days to start. I've never had a batch take more than 36 hours.

Alright, thanks for the responses. I'll give it its two weeks anyhow, just wondering if this was usual or whatever.

And btw, I only watch the airlock for bubbles as signs of fermentation in odd situations. In no way do I rely on it. My hydrometer is my friend...

Back