Another Dual-Hinge Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubadour

Reaction score
I just finished my keezer and thought I'd post a few pics. I know there are a lot of these already, but I couldn't have done this without them. And I hit a few road humps that I'd like to share.

Freezer is the Magic Chef 7.2 cu ft, and the collar is made of 1x8 oak.

Oak is a beautiful wood, and very hard so it should hold up to knicks and scratches. However, make sure you have the right tools when working with oak. It is VERY hard wood.

Among the damage to my tools caused by this wood:
Discharge bag on miter saw caught on fire (b/c my blade wasn't sharp enough, got really hot, shot burning saw dust into the bag), and I broke 2 drill bits (you should use the titanium coated bits, or ones rated for metal)

I installed two sets of hinges, one set attaching the lid to the collar, and another attaching the collar to the freezer.

3468654031_eac7106b4b.jpg

3469467798_907fa59b22.jpg

3469467488_2716c39f8d.jpg

The weather stripping I used for the top came brown like that, and stuck right on.

3469470274_cb97fee29f.jpg

And here she is!...

3469468066_9789c09e09.jpg

3468655215_921e326845.jpg

Looks great! The room for two more cornies, I'm guessing that is on the hump, so you made the collar tall enough? If/When you do that, will the tank still be able to sit in there or will you have to move it to the outside?

I cant wait til I have my own place, big enough for one of these bad boys...

Looks great! The room for two more cornies, I'm guessing that is on the hump, so you made the collar tall enough? If/When you do that, will the tank still be able to sit in there or will you have to move it to the outside?

I cant wait til I have my own place, big enough for one of these bad boys...

Thanks!

Yes, on the hump and it is plenty tall. A 5# co2 tank will fit inside with 6 cornies. If you go bigger than 5#, you'd need to put it outside.

Figured I'd update some pics of my keezer since it's evolved a bit since construction...

3730167540_397eb7ea20.jpg

Added some getto insulation (that "Great Stuff" is messy as hell - and don't get it on your hands or it doesn't come off. Trust me) It's been 100*+ here, and hotter in my garage, so the insulation has done wonders.

3729369445_d5872872c1.jpg

3730168468_6212122b79.jpg

Added a board on the back for added insulation as well as making for a better fit

3730169414_0a2db3d0a1.jpg

Bird's nest of hoses, but 6 kegs and a 5# tank living in harmony

3730169926_480fe3e3bd.jpg

What's on tap...

3730168792_d3d3ff85db.jpg

I just finished my keezer and thought I'd post a few pics. I know there are a lot of these already, but I couldn't have done this without them. And I hit a few road humps that I'd like to share.

Freezer is the Magic Chef 7.2 cu ft, and the collar is made of 1x8 oak.

Oak is a beautiful wood, and very hard so it should hold up to knicks and scratches. However, make sure you have the right tools when working with oak. It is VERY hard wood.

Among the damage to my tools caused by this wood:
Discharge bag on miter saw caught on fire (b/c my blade wasn't sharp enough, got really hot, shot burning saw dust into the bag), and I broke 2 drill bits (you should use the titanium coated bits, or ones rated for metal)

I installed two sets of hinges, one set attaching the lid to the collar, and another attaching the collar to the freezer.

3468654031_eac7106b4b.jpg

3469467798_907fa59b22.jpg

3469467488_2716c39f8d.jpg

Great job. That looks like the perfect size for 6 kegs, not too big, not to small.

That co2 manifold looks to have been made from harbor freight air tool distributors.... sold for $1 each.... ;) I used them too.

Looks good.

I like the double hinged design, but I am wondering how you keep the lid attached to the collar when you lift it all up from the freezer?

Also, on a side note, how long should a 5# tank last with 6 kegs?

I have a dual hinged keezer. I like it because, simply put, it was very easy to build and I'm lazy if nothing else. When I lift the collar on mine, the lid stays in place because it rests on the wall behind the keezer. If I needed to do some major maintenance, I would just pull it out farther, and then bungee the lid to the collar or tie them together.

Another thought--my freezer came with a small exterior lock on the front. I might remove the lock from the base of the unit, and move it up to the collar, so that I could lock the lid down to the collar that way.

Back