Brett Fusion - Wyeast Releases

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
BrettFusion-Front_0309-5web.jpg

Wyeast 3763-PC Roeselare Ale Blend
Beer Styles: ALambics, Geuze, Fruit Lambic, Flanders Red Ale
Profile: Our blend of lambic cultures produces beer with a complex, earthy profile and a distinctive pie cherry sourness. Aging for up to 18 months is required for full flavor profile and acidity to develop. Will produce a very dry profile due to super-attenuative nature of the mixed cultures.

Alc. Tolerance 11% ABV
Flocculation variable
Attenuation 80%+
Temperature Range 65-85°F (18-30°C)
Wyeast 3789-PC Trappist Blend
Beer Styles: Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Flanders Red, Oud Bruin
Profile: A unique blend of Belgian Saccharomyces and Brettanomyces for emulating Trappist style beer from the Florenville region in Belgium. Phenolics, mild fruitiness and complex spicy notes develop with increased fermentation temperatures. Subdued but classic Brett character.

Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation medium
Attenuation 75-80%
Temperature Range 68-85°F (18-30°C)

Wyeast 5151-PC Brettanomyces claussenii
Beer Styles: Lambics, Geuze, Fruit Lambic, Flanders Red Ale
Profile: Isolated from English stock ale, this wild yeast produces a mild Brett character with overtones of tropical fruit and pineapple. It ferments best in worts with a reduced pH after primary fermentation has begun. May form a pellicle in bottles or casks. Typically used in conjunction with other yeast and lactic acid bacteria.

Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation medium
Attenuation 80%
Temperature Range 60-75°F (15-24°C)

I was on their website looking at these yesterday, comtemplating how to use them. :D

anyone seen these on the street yet? I've been checking around, and the roeselare is the only one I see...but I thought that was just because they're supposedly doing it year round now.

EDIT: BW beat me to it. Looks like I'll be ordering from you!

The delima:
My first sour ale is a Flander's Red with Roselare blend made last June. It is still in the carboy with a substantial pellicle. So I have not tried it nor do I expect it to be ready anytime soon.

1) Do I go ahead an get a new carboy and blend to make a 2009 version of the Flander's red?
2) Or do I wait until June to order the yeast and hope the current one can be bottled around then freeing up my "sour" carboy?
3) Or should I just wait until I can try the current sour ale to make sure its something I like?

Funding problems probably puts me at 2) however if funds free up 1) is an option. My current beer looks real ugly but I have liked every real Lambic and Flanders Red I have tried, so I suspect I will like this one just fine.

Craig

I'm thinking of trying a Trappist style so the "Wyeast 3789-PC Trappist Blend" should be just the ticket for me. I'm going to pick up two for the hell of it.

I'm thinking of trying a Trappist style so the "Wyeast 3789-PC Trappist Blend" should be just the ticket for me. I'm going to pick up two for the hell of it.

I would only suggest that if the “Trappist” style beer you are planning to brew is based on Orval. Orval is the only Trappist brewer to use Brett in their beer, the rest of them just use Saccharomyces.

I have a pack of that Brett C that I will be putting in a historical porter on Thursday. I do plan to use the other two while they are out too. I am into all these Brett blends recently, they had some in that Old Ale blend last month too. Hopefully they sell well and this is the beginning of a trend.

Two packets of Roselare are in the fridge; FireBrewer and I are brewing up 10 gallons of Flanders Red on Saturday.

Hellz yeah, sukkorz. :rockin:

I am in the very early stages of learning about the sour side. I am not 100% sold on it yet, and to date have only had a few that I can honestly say that I liked. The Krieks I have tried have been a little too much for my IPA loving ways. Neighbor brought over an Avery Fifteen and an Avery Brabant. Both were awesome. Long story short, I thought I might have to try a batch, and was convinced when I saw the new Wyeast offerings in this months BYO. There do not seem to be the huge variety of recipes in the DB... Any advice, recipe suggestions, etc. for a comfortable brewer looking to expand their horizons a bit?

Brewed one up with 3789-PC Trappist Blend today. Should fall somewhere between a Belgian pale and a Belgian blonde, but hoppier than both. Can't wait to try it in a few months, this is my 4th brett beer I have going right now thanks to Wyeast and their generosity with Brett strains this year.

Brewed one up with 3789-PC Trappist Blend today. Should fall somewhere between a Belgian pale and a Belgian blonde, but hoppier than both. Can't wait to try it in a few months, this is my 4th brett beer I have going right now thanks to Wyeast and their generosity with Brett strains this year.

I ordered this in for a future brew, my first Trappist. Recipe undecided.

Two packets of Roselare are in the fridge;
Well, like a lot of other things in my life I did this a$$ backwards. I trust Jason's taste. Plus the description and ingredients of a Flanders Red sounded tasty, so I bought a pack of the Roselare. After that I picked up a bottle of Duchesse de Bourgogne and tried it the other night. Not a big fan!

So, what I'm wondering is if this is a good representation of the style or what will be produced with a recipe similar to https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/spurhund-zunge-95539/ ?

What are the alternatives that can be brewed with this yeast? I'm looking at a Flanders Brown.

After that I picked up a bottle of Duchesse de Bourgogne and tried it the other night. Not a big fan!

What did you not like about it, Herm? Too sour, not sour enough? Then I can make suggestions about appropriate recipes.

A Flanders Brown (Oud Bruin) is considerably less sour and more malty than a Flanders Red.

What did you not like about it, Herm? Too sour, not sour enough? Then I can make suggestions about appropriate recipes.

A Flanders Brown (Oud Bruin) is considerably less sour and more malty than a Flanders Red.
The combination of sour, fruit and vinegar didn't suit my taste. I've read that the Brown is a little less intense, so I'm looking for a commerical example of that. Was the Duchesse De Bourgogne a good example of the Red? I've read that it's toned down from other Sour's.

Was the Duchesse De Bourgogne a good example of the Red?

It's good, but I measure all commercial examples against Rodenbach Grand Cru. RGC is very unique: it has a prominent acetic edge, reminiscent of balsamic vinegar with a character of red wine; a very complex beer. The sourness is definitely there but there's a balance. Duchesse is sweetened just a touch and I don't find it to be as pleasurable and refreshing as RGC. If the sourness is over the top, maybe Rodenbach Klassiek is more in line with your taste buds.

Another option as suggested by Jeff Sparrow is to make 5 gallons of Flanders Red, and then make a really malty young brown ale to blend with it. Depending on how sour mine comes out I may try this; Evan! claimed his didn't get very sour at all even after a year.

Another option as suggested by Jeff Sparrow is to make 5 gallons of Flanders Red, and then make a really malty young brown ale to blend with it. Depending on how sour mine comes out I may try this; Evan! claimed his didn't get very sour at all even after a year.

As I recall, Evan! pitched a neutral ale yeast for primary then bugs to secondary. I pitched the culture for primary so I'm expecting much more sourness.

Did anyone else brew a beer with 3789? Since it's over 3 months old I pulled a sample and it has went from 1.010 to 1.006 and tastes fantastic. I think I will give it another 3 months to finish up anything it's working on, then dry hop it and bottle it up.

Just bottled an Orval-inspired beer fermented with WY-3789PC. Finished @ 1.007 (would have to check my other PC for recipe & mash temp).

Evolution of flavors from this yeast was interesting:
1. Started bland.
2. Turned quite fruity.
3. Ended with much more brett character than I was expecting.

If I think of it, I'll try to post a tasting review of that beer in a few weeks.

Back