Fresh batch in the works!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

Reaction score
It's been too hot in my crib to brew, until the other night I got a new AC. Dropped the temps from 95 to 73..nice!

So I started the Pomegranate/Blueberry tonight... can't wait.

This is what I used:

2lbs raw cane sugar
1 tsp nutrient
1 1/2 tsp acid blend
1/4 tsp tannin
1/8 tsp pectic enzyme
1 campden tab
3 cans old orchard Pomegranate/Blueberry concentrate
water to 1 gallon

I think I'll get off the 1118 and try Pasteur Champagne.

I have Montrachet, but I read it has problems with higher gravity musts, and I like high gravity! I'm letting campden do it thing right now, I'll post OG readings and temps tomorrow. I used Lindy Spring (I know it's tap water filtered at the store, but it's better than mine!) water at room temp, but when I added the concentrate (str8 from the fridge) it dropped the temps to about 64... tomorrow it should be about 73. Give it time to warm up and dissolve more sugar before taking the readings.

Any input on my yeast choice for this recipe? I also have Premier Cuvee, which I read is equal to the 1118, so again I'll try the Pasteur Champagne.

ok so I pitched my yeast and took SG reading @ 74F+-

It looks to me like 1.140, if I'm reading this right. I have a triple scale hydrometer. The gravity went beyond 1.100 to the 40.
This is 1.140 right?

correct, so you'll almost certainly need to use another yeast. Montrachet poops out pretty quick over 1.110 for me.

I pitched the Pasteur Champagne last night... I think it will to 16%? That should leave some residual sugar after fermentation...but how much... that remains to be seen.

I have had many go dry that high, and higher....it's called 1118! lol

Wow fermentation took off like a bat out of heck! been going strong since sunday morning. I'm really excited to taste it now.

7 days now and SG down to 1.030 , Fermentation still looks strong just racked to secondary and topped up.

FG 1.012 , has the slightest hint of bitter. But after taking a slug and fresh air hits your tongue it's like a bubble pops and the sweet gushes all over your mouth. I don't dislike it...it's interesting though.
Hopefully after bottling the bitter will drop off. With temperature correction it should be about 16.9 ABV. :)

just racked again,may have sucked sum lees last racking, I'll give it a few more weeks. sg down to 1.010 befor topping off. tastes much better now...can't wait to botl n age.

Back