Astringent Not-So-Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelpdog

Reaction score
I recently brewed an extract batch after about a year of partial to all grain batches, averaging about one brew per month. This was supposed to be making an extract version of an all grain batch I had used to teach friends how to brew. We never managed to get around to brewing before they moved (seasonal jobs), so the milled grain sat in a paper bag for about 8-9 weeks.

I racked the beer last night and it was the nastiest astringent light bodied one I have ever tasted. I did not get a good original gravity reading as I had topped off the fermenter with cold water and it wasn't mixed well. The final gravity came in right on target at 1.012. Color however was way off at 14 srm when it should have been 21 srm. I did a. Late extract method. Here is my recipe: http://hopville.com/recipe/1531830

I steeped in 1.5 qts/pound at 152f and rinsed the grains with 1.5 gallons of 170 water. Preboil amount was 4.5 gallons. Added extract with 10 minutes left.

Thoughts on why the srm is so far off and the astringent taste?

fosaisu said:
Thanks for omitting the recipe -- sounds like one to skip!

Thx... Definitely skip this result if possible. My cursor disappeared on the hbtalk app so I hit send and then edited. Unfortunately the recipe is up now!

I recently had the same issue. I made an american amber with wyeast 1056, and it had a vert astringent taste. Its hit or miss w astringency with me, which is very discouraging!

I recently had the same issue. I made an american amber with wyeast 1056, and it had a vert astringent taste. Its hit or miss w astringency with me, which is very discouraging!

What temp are you steeping/mashing? That could cause issues though shouldn't be significant if you are doing extract brewing. Has anyone heard of problems with extract leading to astringency?

I've only had one other astringent batch and it was from a screwed up mash/sparge. In making a yam-ber ale didn't factor in the massive heat retention of the roast yams (added to the mash) and then had a stuck (concrete) sparge due to the yams and a healthy dose of rye. Pretty certain the astringency came came from that process. In this one I can't figure it out, unless it is somehow due to contamination. Also can't figure out why the SRM is so off and it has such a watery body. Best guess is that either the LHBS store or I messed up the order.

My first beer in this recipe seems very watery and astringent as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/critique-my-sweet-brown-ales-373630/

I thought mine had to do with the extra sucrose, high fermenting temps and its not carbed yet.

I also read somewhere that too much crystal malt can cause higher tannins/astringency... however, your recipe doesnt look as heavy on the crystal malt as mine.

I would like to know too.

Does tap water have anything to do with it? Unrinsed sanitizer?

I am concerned about the milled grain being in a paper bag that long. Where was the bag sitting, was it exposed to much heat?

Especially with 48oz of spec grain, it's a large amount in an extract brew, so if it was bad, or if you got your steeping temps too high, this would explain the tannins.

Back