What would you do with a 15g corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should billpa do with this 15g corny?

• Sell it and use the money to purchase a conical fermenter

• Turn it into a conical fermenter (with the help of some welding buddies)

• Sit on it for awhile. You never know when you might want it later

• Give it to me! I have plenty of space to store it

Results are only viewable after voting.

billpa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a nice clean 15g corny that I got in a trade. I have no real use for it as I brew at most 5g batches. I suppose I can sit on it for awhile and maybe use it if I ever upgrade to larger batches. But honestly, I dont see that in the near future so I might just end up selling it.

Image045.jpg

I'm an idiot, but....

Couldn't you use that as a fermenter basically as-is? Either hook up an airlock or just vent the excess pressure once a day. If the dip tube extends all the way to the bottom (you might need to extend it a bit), hook it up to the gas after primary fermentation is done and push all the trub up and out through a picnic tap.

the_bird said:
I'm an idiot, but....

Couldn't you use that as a fermenter basically as-is? Either hook up an airlock or just vent the excess pressure once a day. If the dip tube extends all the way to the bottom (you might need to extend it a bit), hook it up to the gas after primary fermentation is done and push all the trub up and out through a picnic tap.

I could definitely use it as a fermenter as-is (at least I think I could). It would be sweet if I could turn it upside down and (with some modification) use it as a conical :rockin: I suppose that the angle coupled with the fact that it bends back in to accomodate a lid, might not be enough to get all the trub through.

billpa said:
I could definitely use it as a fermenter as-is (at least I think I could). It would be sweet if I could turn it upside down and (with some modification) use it as a conical :rockin: I suppose that the angle coupled with the fact that it bends back in to accomodate a lid, might not be enough to get all the trub through.

I had to go with the give it to me too....but thats because I have 2 10 gallon kegs exactly like that one....and I only use them for fermenting...and I love them. The only problem I run into is that I'm setup for 10 gallon batches and can't brew that much because I need to have some headspace. I could use a 15 gallon version!
I also recently posted a thread about converting mine to a conical style. To be simple about things, you don't need to do any welding.
You definitely scored in getting that thing!

Back