Crown Top Beer Bottles Available in Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear85

Reaction score
Hey,

A friend and I just decided to give home-brewing a try, something we've always wanted to do but never gotten around to.

So we're trying to build a collection of bottles we can use, but it seems most of the brands use screw top bottles, which I guess we can't use (?).

Does anyone know of a widely available beer that uses the crown top bottle so we can get drinking and start collecting?

Cheers.

Corona or Heineken, but then you have the issue of uv light causing off flavors. Go check out the sixers at the local supermarket and liquor store. You should be able to tell which bottles are twist offs and which are pop tops. Gook luck!

You CAN cap Canadian twist offs with a little bit more effort.

I have capped thousands of Canadian twist-offs without any problem with my bench capper and know of others who have done it with a wing capper. I have heard from those who have seen both that American twist-offs are much thinner glass and not designed to be re-capped, however the Canadian ones are just fine for capping.

I have capped hundreds of twist off with no problems. However, last year I started buying 22oz crown cap bottles from my LHBS and love them. They cap easier than the twist offs, and the glass seems to be thicker than on the average beer bottle. I am paying about $9.00/doz for them and I considerit a good investment.

-phil

Most craft brews are bottled in pry offs. However, because of Canadian licensing fees, a lot of craft brewers don't export outside their own province, so you'll need to find your own local ones. Which is really a good thing ;)

The only craft brews I tried in Vancouver were Red Racer IPA, which is excellent, but I only found it in cans, which doesn't help you. Granville Island is technically a craft brewery, I think, but I can't remember if they bottle in pry offs or not. Good Luck :)

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I'll just have to do some trial and error research - not the worst kind!

Maybe I'll try capping some of the screw top bottles I have, maybe on my 2nd or 3rd batch.

Most craft brews are bottled in pry offs.
Granville Island is technically a craft brewery, I think, but I can't remember if they bottle in pry offs or not. Good Luck :)

Yeah we picked up a crate of Granville Island on the same hunch, but no - screw tops :(

I have used 2l plastic soda bottles in Canada for bottling. (I would keg until full then typically bottle 1-2 extra) Never had an issue.

You could look & see if you guys get Paulaner or Michelob amber bock up there. Those are pry off. I like the Paulaner bottles (i get the Salvator doppel bock,hefeweitzen),they have embossed busts of bearded monks around the shoulder of the bottle. The Michelob bottles look like the Belgians,with the little ring around the shoulder.
That reminds me,I also found a brand of spiced Belgian Wit called "shock Top" that has pry off bottles as well. Funny label with an orange slice,cheap sunglasses,& wheat shieve Mohawk! 1st time for a Belgian Wit,let alone with spices. At least I get some more re-usable bottles!

I was in your same situation recently, I started drinking Brava (cheap) and Becks to get some bottles.

I was in your same situation recently, I started drinking Brava (cheap) and Becks to get some bottles.

Try to stay away from clear or green coloured glass bottles that allow skunking of your beer when the beer is exposed to light.

I have literally capped thousands of Canadian screw top beer bottles in my 20+ years of homebrewing using both a wing capper and a bench capper. Our bottles are stronger than American one use beer bottles.

Here's another funny lil anecdote. I went to the food bank,reg bank,then to the LHBS to get some things I need to bottle Sunday. Always cool to go get more brew stuff!! So,among other things,I get a case of used bottles for $3! cool,that'll work. Now to the grocery store for some imports/craft beers.
I know I need 4 more bottles to make enough for my 23L batch. Lug it all home,kick back with you folks again. I went back into the garage to check the name on a craft beer bottle that can be re-used. Glance into the dining room,& low & behold! Another good size box of bottles to rummage through my lil wife saved for me! And they were the nice,Paulaner bottles too boot! Is that love or what?

Back