Is Extract octoberfest really possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerDog

Reaction score
Is it possible to make a fairly decent extract octoberfest with an extract kit ? Will I have to lager it? If not I believe that I did read somewhere that there was a kit that used some type of ale yeast, how do these turn out?

I know that I will not be able to make a true Paulner type octoberfest, but I would like to try to make something like that. thanks for the help.

of course you can make an oktoberfest with extract. Prolly need some steeping grains too.

And you really do need to do it as a lager to get a true o-fest...lager yeast, lager temps, and lager aging.
You know that oktoberfest's are brewed in March, and aged til October....right? (traditionally speaking that is)

even if you brew as an ale, this baby wont' be ready for drinkin' until mid-November or later.

I just brought my 5th batch of HB on a whitewater rafting trip. I shared True Brew Wheat, Porter, Oktoberfest, Bock and Brown Ale. The Oktoberfest was the clear favorite and Wheat a close second.

All tasters raved! Was it a true Oktoberfest, clearly no. Was it awesome? Hellz ya! What is your priority? Brew accordingly.

There's absolutely no reason why you can't brew an Oktoberfest or any other beer, really, with extract. You just have to keep in mind that you're going to get the extract twang, the malt character will not be as complex, and it may be darker than desired.

Get extract-creative and brew on!

I'm interested in the AHS kit but I don't have the ability to lager for fermenting or aging. If the weather holds I may be able to ferment in the low 60s for at least the rest of the winter, I'm in GA. I can put it in the back of a cool closet for bulk aging, maybe 60ish. Do you guys have an alternative ale yeast you think would work? AHS suggests White Lab Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager WLP820 or Wyeast Oktoberfest Lager. As you can see I'm trying to get a jump on October, I'm providing beer for a friend's wedding mid-October.

Thx for the help

Keep in mind that the big suppliers sell a special Munich malt extract, which is really a critical ingredient in brewing an Oktoberfest. I'd start with that and one of the Pilsner extracts they sell as my base, so my core ingredients were as close to the original as I could. Steep a little Caramunich, and you've got your malt profile.

Now, the lager/ale question, that's a separate question.

I'm interested in the AHS kit but I don't have the ability to lager for fermenting or aging. If the weather holds I may be able to ferment in the low 60s for at least the rest of the winter, I'm in GA. I can put it in the back of a cool closet for bulk aging, maybe 60ish. Do you guys have an alternative ale yeast you think would work? AHS suggests White Lab Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager WLP820 or Wyeast Oktoberfest Lager. As you can see I'm trying to get a jump on October, I'm providing beer for a friend's wedding mid-October.

Thx for the help

Nottingham maybe? It's an ale yeast that works at low temps (for an ale).

I'll second using Nottingham at cold temps (~60 degrees F) to simulate a lager.

And if you were going to try making a recipe and not using a kit, I would mini-mash as much vienna as you can. Make up the rest of the fermentables with pilsener and munich extracts.

Do you guys have an alternative ale yeast you think would work? AHS suggests White Lab Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager WLP820 or Wyeast Oktoberfest Lager. As you can see I'm trying to get a jump on October, I'm providing beer for a friend's wedding mid-October.

Thx for the help

WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch
regardless what they say, it ferments well between 60 and 70 degrees, if you keep it near 60 and age for a month or so, it should come out very lager like.

So what do you guys think about getting the extract kit from AHS and using a German Ale/Kolsch yeast instead? Since its supposed to be "Award Winning" I can't imagine doing much better myself, particularly w/ the fact I've only made half a dozen brews. Obviously be a lot easier and I can't image I'd save a lot of $ piecemeal either. Thanks for all the help.

So what do you guys think about getting the extract kit from AHS and using a German Ale/Kolsch yeast instead?

I think you'd be happy with it. I use that yeast alot for lager type beers. I just don't have the room for another freezer to lager in. I've use it regularly on my cream ale, it comes out very lagerlike. I have also used it on the oktoberfest, next I'm gonna give it a shot on a bock.

Here's a tweaked version of a recipe I got from bsay.

6 lbs Light DME
10 oz Caramunich
8 oz Vienna
2 oz Victory
Steep at 160* 20 min
1.00 oz Vanguard [4.40 %] (60 min) Hops
.5 oz Hallertauer [3.20 %] (20 min) Hops
.5 oz Hallertauer [3.20 %] (1 min) Hops
0.05 oz Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
Whirlfloc tab (Boil 18.0 min) Misc
WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch Yeast-Ale

Would the Pilsner extract be much different? Also is that enough hops? Other than that how's it look?

Back