Shopping for my 1st erlenmeyer flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-SSV

Reaction score
I'm venturing into doing a yeast starter for the first time and could use some suggestions on where to find a good flask.

The flasks on NB don't have the best reviews, as most reviewers say they are too thin and break easily. Are some flasks made thicker than others or are they pretty much all the same?

I'm doing 5 gallon all grain full boil batches. I don't foresee brewing anything larger than a 5 gallon batch, so will a 1000ml flask suffice or should I be looking for a 2000ml?

Thanks!

I bought my first Erlenmeyer flask at my LHBS and bought the same second one from homebrewing.org along with a magnetic stir plate. They are great quality and I've had no issues with them. If you plan on boiling the starter inside the flask, I'd defineltly go with the 2000ml one because they boil over easily due to the shape. Also with yeast propagation, especially in a stir plate, you tend to have high kraussen that could very possibly blow off your air lock. It's good to have some extra headspace in my experience.

I bought a 2000ml one from the LHBS and it works great. I usually make a bigger starter so I get a blow off most of the time. I just wait for that to subside before I put it on the stir plate.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I will be using a stir plate, but I have an electric stove, so I wont be boiling in the flask. I guess it would be a good idea to go ahead and get the 2000 ml then.

I've been to 2 LHBS's in my area and have struck out with the flask and stir bar. I guess I'm gonna have to buy online.

You'll want a 2000ml flask minimum. The 1000ml flasks can overflow quite easily with yeasty foam when even a 500-600 ml starter is active or is shaken.

Regarding NB's flask quality, I came home one day and noticed my 1000ml flask (with an active starter in it) had a slight break at the base. It was held together and not leaking, but it shouldn't have happened since it was never dropped or slammed.

Anyway, I called NB and asked for a replacement, but I wanted to pay for the difference to get get a 2L flask in place of the broken 1L. They said, oh no don't worry about it, we'll send you the 2L flask for free. Never had a problem since with it and it has been 2 years. And I loved NB for going out of there way for me.

Definitely don't waste your money on a 1L flask. Run the numbers on yeastcalc and you'll see that making a starter is practically pointless until you're near 1L or so. So you'll always be using the 2L.

What's wrong with boiling in the flask? That's all I've ever done, and haven't had any issues.

I'd go with a 3L flask if you're only getting one. Also look into doing stepped starters (http://yeastcalc.com for help there) so that you can brew pretty much anything you want. With a stepped starter (either two or three) you can get the yeast cell count needed with either a 2L or 3L flask. In fact, you can get the same cell count with two steps (in either size flask usually) that would otherwise take a 20L+ starter size. You'll save a good amount on DME this way too. :rockin:

As for where to get one, if your LHBS has them, check them out. Otherwise, getting them online is more of a coin toss. Just be sure the place has a good return policy, if it's not a HBS.

Golddiggie raises a good point - even a single 2L isn't really enough for most lagers. I typically use a 2L then step up to a 4L growler.

I do mostly ales. If I were to do a lager, I would do a 1L starter, then cold crash, decant and then collect half the pitching slurrey into a sanitized jar for starage and step again. That would work, wouldn't it?

I do mostly ales. If I were to do a lager, I would do a 1L starter, then cold crash, decant and then collect half the pitching slurrey into a sanitized jar for starage and step again. That would work, wouldn't it?

Depending on the OG and yeast age, that might work, but just as easily not work. Yeastcalc.com WILL let you figure out what size starters to make.

I do find that I use my 3L flask much more often than the 2L flask.

Latest posts

Back