NB black ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbysdad2006

Reaction score
So I just ordered a black ipa from NB. I have been reading that a few people doubled the hops in the kit. That kit has this:
1ozSummit(60min)
1ozChinook(15min)
1ozCentennialType(10min)
1ozCascade(5min)
1ozCentennialType(0min)
1ozCascade(dryhop)
My question is what would double the hops do to it? So 2 oz of each. I'm thinking just a lot more hoppy but I may be wrong. Thanks guys.

Id only be worried about the bittering hops, if you dont want it too bitter then dont double the 60 min addition, but the late additions shouldnt cause a problem

I added 1oz of cascade hops to the exact kit you're talking about and it came out delicious!!

shaneogle89 said:
I added 1oz of cascade hops to the exact kit you're talking about and it came out delicious!!

So is about 114 ibu's undrinkable. I put the hop schedule in brew pal with 1 oz summit hops at 60 min and 2 oz for everything else and it came up to 114 ibu's. should I bring it down to below 100?

I've brewed this a couple of times and it's delicious as is. To me, a black IPA can be ruined if it's over-hopped. Just sayin'...

I also think this is a great kit as is. Some friends have brewed it two or three times and each time was great. If anything I think you could get away with upping the dry hops. An ounce of Cascade, Chinook and Centennial?

inhousebrew said:
I also think this is a great kit as is. Some friends have brewed it two or three times and each time was great. If anything I think you could get away with upping the dry hops. An ounce of Cascade, Chinook and Centennial?

Dry hop with all three?

Back