Dogfish black and blue ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWorld

Reaction score
What your thoughts on this? I was not impressed. At 11.25 a bottle and 10 percent ABV I was not impressed.

The fruit flavors were overpowered by alcoholic tastes. It was a very dry beer but not at all crisp and refreshing. Aroma was fruity with a strong ethyl profile.

Those who enjoy dry cider will like finish. But for some I think the alcohol bite could be too pronounced.

The best part about this beer for me is recycling the cool dogfish bottle for the next brew.

I agree with you. The concept behind the beer is really cool, but I can't say I was a huge fan. I tried it about 6 months ago and haven't gotten it again since. Does anyone know if I can use the DFH bombers to bottle sours in? Sorry to be off topic.

I wasn't impressed with my first try at black and blue either, but I had purchased a second bottle and aged for a year. Boy did that make a difference. The 1 year old bottle was fantastic!

After having the cough syrup they named Black & Red at the 2011 Oregon Brewer's Festival, there's no way I'd drop $11.25 for a bottle.

I wasn't impressed with my first try at black and blue either, but I had purchased a second bottle and aged for a year. Boy did that make a difference. The 1 year old bottle was fantastic!

Agreed.

Most of DFH's boozy, non-hoppy beers taste better with age. When they are fresh, they are boozy and rough. I've had a fresh Black and Blue and one that I aged for about six months. Huge difference. The fresh one tasted like the OP described. The aged one was delicious.

While im not a big fan of black and blue to dismiss it solely on black and red ( a fruCK UP beer) released as a regular beer from dfh is not a reason to not try it. Black and red sucked as$ ( they had it on draft here at the falls church alehouse for over a year) and that is why it stayed on draft for so long here.

While im not a big fan of black and blue to dismiss it solely on black and red ( a fruCK UP beer) released as a regular beer from dfh is not a reason to not try it. Black and red sucked as$ ( they had it on draft here at the falls church alehouse for over a year) and that is why it stayed on draft for so long here.
Maybe I'm was being a bit harsh, but honestly, that beer was so awful there is absolutely no way that I would drop $11.25 for a bottle of their beer without tasting it first. It was worse that this was only beer they sent to OBF that year. If that's what you want to represent your brewery, fine, but don't expect me to run out and buy your other products.

This beer has been sitting looking at me at this small liquor store i go to over two years without me even trying it yet,or even hesitating to buy it yet.Maybe Ill wait till they are desperate enough to put it on sale to get rid of them,they are at least a few years aged. Its not really a style I tend to pay that much for.

I love black & blue! I agree that it is better with age, but even fresh it is still worth $12! Black & Red was disgusting! I tried at @ the brewpub and was so disappointed because I thought it sounded good!

Back