First partigyle attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crocks86

Reaction score
So, I've done 6 A.G batches now with decent results and I'm planning on trying a partigyle to make an English barleywine and something along the lines of a pale mild. The recipe is going to be fairly basic, just wondering what everyone thinks of my two options I'm considering.

It'll be two 2.5 gallon batches, from what I've read it seems like if I make the recipe for a 5 gallon batch to come out with an O.G of about 1.070, I should get one batch at ~1.090 and one with ~1.045. with a total batch SRM of 10 I should get one ~14 and one ~6, which is an approximation since I don't have a recipe set in stone.

The grain bill is where my main question is, will it be better to go with about 14lbs of two row and a pound of a mid range crystal (I have some 40 and 80 lying around) or go with a smaller amount of 2 row and 30-40% Munich or Vienna. I see a lot of recipes using marris otter for BWs but I've never seen it at my LHBS, I'll look for it next time I'm there but I doubt it.

Then once I have that figured out I'm thinking of just going with a single hop for each and probably doing a 60, 10 and 0 addition for each but using a much higher alpha for the BW (probably equal additions for a total of 2oz) and something low for the mild (equal additions for a total of 1.5oz). I was thinking northern brewer and EKG going with the English style, but not necessarily set on those.

Not sure on the yeast yet, I'll probably have to go with whatever is available when I go to the store, but something English for sure.

I've never done a batch of either of these styles, so I might be way off but from what I've seen on here and different other sites it seems like it'll work.

Any thoughts, suggestions, and criticisms are welcome. Thanks.

Why not just split the recipe in half completely, even the water volume, for two full volume boils of equal OG? No need to have one with more ingredients or a higher OG and then mix them to level out, which I'm thinking will not provide the same result. Is that what you wanted to do? Or to brew two completely different beers with the same ingredients?

Your question is unclear. If the question is, "Can I do it?", then yes. Yes, you can.

Sorry if its unclear, I basically just wanted to know which grain bill would turn out better. The two row and 5% or so crystal, or two row with 30% or so of munich or vienna. Just looking for opinions as I'm sure there are preferences for either side.
Also, just wondering if the amount of grain sounds right for two 2.5 gallon batches, I worked it out on ibrewmaster and it seems reasonable but not 100% sure if any adjustments need to be made for this technique.

Personal preference.

For a barleywine, I'd use the vienna and crystal 40 (or maybe small amounts of both C40 and C80) along with 2-row, carapils for body, and some sugar to hit target OG after the boil.

Use this to design your recipe, http://beercalculus.hopville.com

3.5 gal, 60 minute boil, ending in 2.5 gal would require approx. 7 lbs. of pure 2-row to reach 1.070 OG

Back