13 days and my airlock is still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPD2245

Reaction score
On Feb 27 I brewed a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, my first original recipe. Two days earlier, I made a 2 liter yeast starter. My yeast choice was Wyeast Trappist High Gravity. The starter turned out good. I cold crashed it, decanted most of the liquid, swirled it good and poured it into my wort. My OG was 1.096. Fermentation started quickly. The yeast cake on top foamed up through the top of my carboy and through my three piece airlock. I've had much worse foam ups in the past. This was pretty mild and only a little bit of foam dripped down the side of my carboy.

My fermentation got to about 75 degrees. I had good bubble action out of my three piece airlock. My problem is, it hasn't stopped! Today is day 13 and I am getting a bubble in the airlock every 12 seconds!! I've never had a fermentation take more than 6 days. A week ago, my gravity was 1.031. Yesterday is was 1.024. And it's still bubbling. I tasted it and it is delicious!! I mean, it blew me away how delicious it was even at this point. But why the heck is the yeast going so slow?? Should I consider pitching new yeast when it's time to bottle?

I have had 3787 just chug along for a long time. I had one show active fermentation for over 3 weeks. Carboy looked like a lava lamp.

I really like 3787 and use it often, but it can just keep working.Give it plenty of time to finish. I usually give it 5-6 weeks.

No need to pitch yeast at bottling.

Thanks for this info!

I thought the higher temperature would make the fermentation move along pretty quickly. It was in a room that was 69 degrees until two days ago. The temp of the beer remained about 73-75. I moved it into a room that is 63 degrees to finish up. Guess I'll just have to let it keep going.

my belgian triple with this yeast is bubbling strong at day 8, last time i used it for double it was going for 20 days, im still saving few bottles of this beer, its sooo good :)

my belgian triple with this yeast is bubbling strong at day 8, last time i used it for double it was going for 20 days, im still saving few bottles of this beer, its sooo good :)

It is a good Belgian yeast. Probably my favorite. Age does wonders with this yeast. yummm.

13 days for a 1.096 beer is nothing. It will probably need at least 4 weeks and probably be better with 6-8 weeks on the yeast. Good on you for making a starter.

Just an update, I took another reading today and was really surprised. First, I'm still seeing bubbles, but it has slowed to about once every 30 to 60 seconds.

Gravity reading today: 1.016

Beersmith predicted 1.20. My ABV content right now is about 10.4.

It tastes great too!

Back