free keg and freezer projects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misfit

Reaction score
let me first start off by saying i moved into this house 9 months ago and have since been finding out all this pretty amazing stuff about the house in and around it. 2.5 acre ranch with basement bar, 2 car garage, horseshoe pit, blueberry bushes, screened in porch etc.

ok well the roommate and i were cleaning out a corner of our garage that had some stuff in it and what did we find but a full keg of beer back there. so the question is what do i do with it? i was thinking about making it a brew pot because i can only boil 3 gallons now. the keg has been sitting for a few years and is filled with beer.

now the next part.

for the past 9 months i have been walking past this and never once noticed it. but we have a pretty large chest style freezer. kinda moldy on the inside and no one has plugged it in for a few years i found out. so what to do with it? current plan is to get it cleaned out, plugged in and order a keg system.

pictures to come tonight when im not at work.

Congrats on the sweet find!

On the freezer, i would plug it in first and make sure it works! You don't want to go through all the work and have it be broken.

Release the pressure on that keg and pull the stem out!

I have 3 keggles and they are great for home brewing (I do 10 gallon batches only) and cooking.

I made 7 gallons of homemade kahlua last year in mine, and after Thanksgiving a bunch of us got together and make turkey soup out of left over turkey dinner.

There are many posts about converting kegs, I would recommend just having someone cut it and grind it for you, as the cost for one is better than the work involved.

You have way better finds than we did in our new house purchase!

Pics. Freezer is a Westinghouse

ForumRunner_20110915_200948.jpg

ForumRunner_20110915_201002.jpg

ForumRunner_20110915_201023.jpg

ForumRunner_20110915_201036.jpg

ForumRunner_20110915_201051.jpg

I have a brand new faucet, shank, and beer line if you need em. Purchased before I bought my tower setup for kegerator. Just holler if freezer cools and you proceed. They're just sitting here.

I think I may have to lug this keg to work tomorrow to cut the top off and pour the beer out

If I can figure out how to I will ha. Then I gotta decide if I wanna use the plasma cutter or air cutoff

Misfit said:
If I can figure out how to I will ha. Then I gotta decide if I wanna use the plasma cutter or air cutoff

Just press down on the ball but be careful not to get sprayed.

Take a big screw driver and depress the ball in the stem. Put a towel over your hands when you do it in case there's alot of pressure in it. You can take the stem out to drain it. that might make less of a mess.

Back