World's 'oldest beer' found in shipwreck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanpace

Reaction score
(CNN) -- First there was the discovery of dozens of bottles of 200-year-old champagne, but now salvage divers have recovered what they believe to be the world's oldest beer, taking advertisers' notion of 'drinkability' to another level.

Though the effort to lift the reserve of champagne had just ended, researchers uncovered a small collection of bottled beer on Wednesday from the same shipwreck south of the autonomous Aland Islands in the Baltic Sea.

"At the moment, we believe that these are by far the world's oldest bottles of beer," Rainer Juslin, permanent secretary of the island's ministry of education, science and culture, told CNN on Friday via telephone from Mariehamn, the capital of the Aland Islands.

"It seems that we have not only salvaged the oldest champagne in the world, but also the oldest still drinkable beer. The culture in the beer is still living."

Juslin said officials had talked to a local brewer about whether the new-found beer might be able to yield its recipe after experts decipher the brew's ingredients.

The newest find came as divers unearthed bottles separate from the earlier champagne find. While lifting a few to the surface, one exploded from pressure. A dark fluid seeped from the broken bottle, which they realized was beer.

All the cargo on the ship -- including the beer and champagne -- is believed to have been transported sometime between 1800 and 1830, according to Juslin. He said the wreck was about 50 meters deep (roughly 164 feet) in between the Aland island chain and Finland.

The cargo was aboard a ship believed to be heading from Copenhagen, Denmark, to St Petersburg, Russia. It could have possibly been sent by France's King Louis XVI to the Russian Imperial Court.

"Champagne of this kind was popular in high levels [of society] and was exclusive to rich groups -- it was not a drink for common people then," Juslin said.

Experts estimated the exclusive bubbly to be worth tens of thousands of euros per bottle. The value of the beer has not been determined. It is also unknown whether the beer went flat while sitting at the bottom of the Baltic for such a long time.

Some of the bottles of champagne were originally produced by Juglar, a premium champagne house no longer in existence, according to Juslin.

He said the cold sea water was a perfect way to store the spirits, with the temperature remaining a near-constant 4-5 degrees Celsius (around freezing temperature in Fahrenheit, or 32 degrees) and no light to expedite the spoiling process.

Investigators and historians have not yet unraveled the mystery surrounding the exact origin of the ship or the date when the ship went down.

Juslin said other artifacts were still lying in the shipwreck, but it would take several months to lift them out of the wreck.

The islands are at the entrance of the Gulf of Bothnia, in the Baltic Sea. They have Swedish-speaking people, though the island itself falls under Finnish protection. The Aland chain forms a Nordic archipelago of more than 6,000 skerries and islands.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/e.../index.html?hpt=T2#fbid=qNDLYhS84i4&wom=false

an interesting read, i thought i would share.

wow. yes very interesting find. thanks for sharing! would be interesting to find out the recipe and to see if any clones surface. as long as it isnt along the lines of civil war beer lmao

Im waiting for one of those guys to start a thread on here...

"My beers been at the bottom of the baltic sea for 200 years... Is it still any good."

or

"My beers been at the bottom of the baltic sea for 200 years and its still not carbed, should I leave it for another 100 years."

Oh god I'm so tempted.....:D

i'm going to hop a plane with my mug and head to the Baltic Sea and see if i can't bum a glass of them :)

I can just see, the divers letting their girl friends try it. "Baby I think a wedge of lemon/orange would make this taste better."

"My beers been at the bottom of the baltic sea for 200 years... Is it still any good."

or

"My beers been at the bottom of the baltic sea for 200 years and its still not carbed, should I leave it for another 100 years."

Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning

There you go Revvy.

While lifting a few to the surface, one exploded from pressure. A dark fluid seeped from the broken bottle, which they realized was beer.

Experts estimated the exclusive bubbly to be worth tens of thousands of euros per bottle. The value of the beer has not been determined. It is also unknown whether the beer went flat while sitting at the bottom of the Baltic for such a long time.

Sounds like it's flat. Just send it over here!!! Anyone got scuba gear???

I was thinking about starting one of those threads, but since I'm betting that we will have 7 thread about this topic by monday...I don't want to wreck my bet by doing it myself.

This one makes 2 so far https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/coming-soon-wyeast-194075/

A lot of new members on here don't realize that a lot of us beer geeks get emails and tweets, press releases, and other things directly from the breweries, brewers and even industry trades, and that by the time it makes it to the more public news agencies (the "mainstream media") more than likely it's been 2-3 days since the more industry related news already released it (that's how the mainstream media got word of it anyway, from the same sources we did) AND more than likely it was posted on this forum, the very day the word came out.

More than likely the site they posted, got the same press release the first poster of this info on here did.

That's the nature of this place, we're like the uber site for beer geeks if we're not making the news we're breaking the news.

Things like this are cool, but the whole "use the yeast and find out the recipe" just seems gimicky to me. I'd definately be interested to see what style it is. Unless its some long forgotten style, I'm willing to bet this beer isn't vastly different than something you could buy at some brewery today. I mean, IPAs were originally brewed sometime in the mid 1800's. Porters and the like were brewed in the 1700's. While our ingredients today have changed, we really aren't doing anything vastly different than they did then. I'm not a beer historian, nor do I hold any knowledge of older practices or ingredients, but I'm sure with a little research, I could put together a pretty historically accurate Porter.

I think the fact that it still exists, presumably in pretty good condition considering where it has been "stored" is awesome. I think the media hype of getting the recipe and harvesting the yeast is stupid.

Great find, but "salvage diver" is just another way to say looter. They don't care about anything that won't sell.

I think it's time to confiscate some bottles ;p

or

Hahahahaha! Yes!

Back