Carbing 2 kegs to different volumes using single-body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
I have two beers that'll be kegged around the same time. One is a Porter that I'd like around 2.0 volumes, and one is a Christmas / Spiced Ale that I'd like around 2.4 volumes.

I have a single body regulator. Is this possible, or do I have to compromise?

Well, sure you can do it, but you'll have to ask if it's worth it to do. You could move your CO2 line every time you tap a beer and adjust it's setting each time, too, presuming you know where it should be adjusted for 2.0 & 2.4 volumes. I actually did this for a while. It was a pain and I settled on just serving everything at the same pressure. I still had to move the gas line which was still a pain. I would say just bite the bullet and get a double regulator -- you're going to do it eventually, might as well do it now.

+1 you need a secondary reg body to add to existing regulator or 2 additional standalone regulators.

From your existing regulator, you could feed a Tee that splits to 2 lines. Those 2 lines you then attach 2 stand alone regulators. You could probably get away with cheap air regs, just make sure you dont feed it more psi that it is regulated for.

darn, lol.

what about keeping one keg a bit warmer than the other? set the reg at 7psi, but keep the porter at 41F (likes to be warmer anyway) and the holiday ale at 34....

charts say 41F at 7psi = 2 vol, and 34F at 7psi is 2.28
might be hard to do, but i have a giant 27 cubic foot keezer, so I might get colder/warmer spots in there....

eh, i'll just set em both at 2.1 vols.

what about keeping one keg a bit warmer than the other? set the reg at 7psi, but keep the porter at 41F (likes to be warmer anyway) and the holiday ale at 34....

A lot easier to just get a secondary regulator....or just don't worry about it like you said. Split the difference.

lol, i just bought a 3-tap kegging setup (don't even have it yet) and a used chest freezer; wife won't let me upgrade to the dual reg.

i don't really mind I guess; we're having a new years party with these kegs and I wanted them at "proper carb".

Ah, shoot for 2.2 on both beers you'll never know the difference. I would definitely save up for a secondary, their great to have.

Carb them both to 2.0 volumes, then disconnect the porter and turn the pressure up for the Christmas. That will at least allow you to carb them simultaneously in the least amount of time. Serving is whole a other issue.

You can get secondary regs pretty cheap on eBay if you keep your eyes open. I got two for like $25 shipped.

darn, lol.

charts say 41F at 7psi = 2 vol, and 34F at 7psi is 2.28
might be hard to do, but i have a giant 27 cubic foot keezer, so I might get colder/warmer spots in there....

eh, i'll just set em both at 2.1 vols.
This would be extremely difficult to control. You'd most likely be farther off than just setting both to 2.2Volumes.

Actually , you really only need 1 inline reg that you can get at Lowes or HD for the lower PSI keg.

Put the Porter on the warmest part of the hump and the Christmas brew back in the coldest corner. Set the reg to achieve target carb in the Christmas brew (at whatever temp it's at). I always do this in my keezer...it's not a huge difference but at least it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully you have isolation valves so you can just shut off the gas to the Porter, then give it a little gas whenever it needs it and shut it off again. It's not perfect but I have 4 kegs on 1 reg (plus isolation valves) and I almost never want for another reg.

In combination with his other. You can't get two pressures with 1 reg.
THe inline reg is seperate from his Main Reg (attached to co2 bottle). So yes , there are 2 regs. One attached to the co2 tank , then say he has his line split to feed 2 kegs, he could put an inline reg on one of the line to drop the pressure.

He sets main reg to say 14 psi, then the inline reg to 10psi. He is then feeding 2 kegs at 2 diff pressures.

Just found this after a lot of searching. I am going to get a full keg of some bmc for a party I'm going to have and would like to keep a corny of homebrew on at the same time. To serve them both at the same time could I just T my gas line or use a manifold or would I have to get a second regulator? How do you connect two regulators together? Where can I find an inline regulator like mentioned before?

Thanks! I wasn't sure if anyone saw I posted a thread asking the same question. A T would be so much cheaper and easy. but I was thinking about buying a cheap plastic manifold so I could close it when I'm not serving the sankey.

Back