compressor hump in refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I have an old refrigerator that i wanted to use and the compressor hump in the back is just big enough so that the door will not close with my carboy inside. The hump is ~6 1/4 inches high. I was thinking that I could just rest one side of my milk crate containing my carboy on a cinder bloc and the other half on the hump. I looked online and the standard size for a cinder block is 7.5 inches.
Anyone have any ideas?

here are some pics to make it more clear.
The milk crate hits the bottom part of the door
img1332l.jpg

picture of the compressor hump
img1333z.jpg

edit: yes, I plan on cleaning it before I begin using it as a fermentation chamber

Not sure of the size of your fridge, but here's what I did to get a 5g carboy to fit. A 6.5g won't fit unless you tilt it back.

new%20shelf%20close.JPG

new%20shelf%20far.JPG

hmm, I was just thinking i could cut out all the door shelving and it would fit just fine. that is all just insulation anyway correct?

Most people simply cut the shelving off like you suggested with something like a dremel cut off wheel. Search for threads with people building kegerators out of mini fridges and they will show this.

Most people simply cut the shelving off like you suggested with something like a dremel cut off wheel. Search for threads with people building kegerators out of mini fridges and they will show this.
im assuming a saws-all would work as well?

Looks like an old mini fridge. I had the same problem. I took off the shelving in the door, it was only attached by screws. Then I glued the seal back onto the door and leveled out my carboy with books.

Oh, lucky you, I already had a pic on my computer.

SMaSH 002.jpg

Looks like an old mini fridge. I had the same problem. I took off the shelving in the door, it was only attached by screws. Then I glued the seal back onto the door and leveled out my carboy with books.

Oh, lucky you, I already had a pic on my computer.

nope, full size fridge

I just tested and the carboy without the milk crate fits inside the fridge fine. Mabey I will just buy a brew hauler instead of cutting up the fridge

Back