Good sites for buld ordering (50lbs) malt? and other ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamuraiSquirrel

Reaction score
So, I am venturing into the world of all-grain brewing. I have done quite a few extract batches and originally bought everything from the local home brew store until i realized that they have a near 40% markup.

I have found a few good sites for ordering hops but am wondering where everyone orders their malt from? I have found sites that charge up to 50 dollars to ship and also some that have $6 flat rate shipping.

I would like to be able to order 50lbs or so but do not want to pay 50 dollars to ship it.

Rather than look through countless sites I figured i would ask and see what everyone else uses for ordering supplies.

I buy from a distributor near me. They give a discount to brew club members (10%). I pay $42 for a 55# bag of pilsner (Rahr or MaltEurop). They will grind, too, but I have my own mill. Moral of story: try to buy local and skip shipping.

If you can't buy local, try BrewMaster's Warehouse or Northern Brewer.

How do you expect them to stay in business if they don't profit? I mean, if it amounted to hundreds of dollars each purchase, then maybe you should look elsewhere. But how much of a difference in price are we talking about per purchase between buying local and buying online?

I am all about supporting the local home brew store. If we were talking about a reasonable markup I would be all for paying the premium. However, I am talking between 4-5 dollars per ounce for hops at LHBS! Equipment is insane too. Even buckets and starter equipment are twice what you would pay online. I bought all starter equipment and kit for my first batch from LHBS. Paid 120 something for kit. Same kit sells online for $69 ........................

My wallet can only afford brewday emergency purchases.

I bought a ton (well, not a ton but about 200 pounds of it) from austinhomebrew.com. The price per pound is slightly more expensive, but the $7 shipping meant that it was cheaper in the long run. They broke it up into 4 50 pound boxes, so it didn't come freight, it came UPS. I ordered Vienna malt, Munich malt, two-row, and pilsner malt in bulk, and I'm very happy with the malt and the price.

+1 for group buys from NCM, we've done several with local brewers. Try and get a group buy together, saves a lot of grain, hops, cleaners, sanitizers, etc.

I like North Country for bulk malt. Last time I ordered 2 sacks and it came to ~$1.05 per pound with shipping. I also like the fact that they send malt analyses with each order.

I would get it from my LHBS, but it's nearly double the price and they don't carry German pilsner malt... and I make a lot of German lagers.

Latest posts

Back