what the heck is this stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
first batch ever, was straining into a carboy and my strainer kept getting clogged with this stuff. looks like a gross coney sauce.... was this caused by the irish moss I added?

What is it?
Is it normal to get a large amount of the stuff?
If one decides not to strain this would all go into the fermenter, and do what to the beer?

p1010471ry8.jpg

That looks like the sludge from hop pellets. They kind of disintegrate in the boil and just fall to the bottom when it cools. You can strain them out (I do), or leave them in. It won't hurt anything, but I like to strain out the "junk" and top up to the 5 gallons. I figure if you've got a quart of sludge in there, why not remove it.

I pour it in the fermenter and rack off when I transfer to the secondary. Makes no difference either way.

z987k said:
I pour it in the fermenter and rack off when I transfer to the secondary. Makes no difference either way.

Same here, sometimes. I haven't been using secondaries so I filter when racking to kegs. No problems to report...

A quart? Amateur!

img_1432.jpg

This is before the ferment started. I know the bazooka was installed and I only used whole hops. It's going to be one weird batch!

Soulive said:
Same here, sometimes. I haven't been using secondaries so I filter when racking to kegs. No problems to report...
coffee filters or a real filtration system?

You'll never get all that wort through a coffee filter... let alone an entire stack of filters. Use mesh....it clogs up FAST

Back