American Amber Ale Fat Tire Clone, BYO Dec 2010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1272
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Starter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Your preference
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Your preference
Additional Fermentation
NA
Tasting Notes
Needs changes...
Fat Tire Clone

This is the recipe given by New Belgium in the Dec 2010 BYO issue. The only difference is that I used .10lbs more of C60 than the recipe because I couldn't measure .40.

70% efficiency:

Maris Otter 8.50lb
Munich 1.0lb
C60 .5lb
Victory .4lb

Single Infusion Mash at 154ºF for 60 min.

UK Target 10.5AA .40oz @60min
Willamette 4.5AA .5oz @10min
UK Golding 5.5AA .5oz @turn off

I fermented this at 68ºF using my typical 3 weeks in the primary. It then conditioned in a corny for approx 3 weeks before being cooled and forced carbed.

Tasting Notes:

This is NOT Fat Tire. It is a good beer though. The nutty/biscuity flavor and aroma of Fat Tire just isn't there. I believe that part of this is the yeast (they gave 1272 in the article but I think that was just to recommend something available that was close). I also think I will up the Victory Malt next time and add some biscuit.

I'm keeping the recipe and will probably brew it again as is, but it is not Fat Tire.

I hope more people comment on this and come up with ways to make this closer to the real thing.

Now that I have been drinking this beer for a few days, I've decided on my changes for next time.

I'm replacing the C60 with C40 at 3/4lb. I'm also going to toast 2 lbs of the Maris Otter to hopefully eke out a little more of the toasty/nutty flavor.

Now that I have been drinking this beer for a few days, I've decided on my changes for next time.

I'm replacing the C60 with C40 at 3/4lb. I'm also going to toast 2 lbs of the Maris Otter to hopefully eke out a little more of the toasty/nutty flavor.

New Belgium is not giving a good recipe, and rightly so. The recipe does look ok, but needs to ditch the C60 and replace with 1 # C20 or C40 and also add 3-4 oz chocolate malt...then your toasty/biscuit fat tire flavor will shine.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but just found this thread.

I wasn't considering chocolate, but the C40 substitution is exactly what I was planning for next time I get around to this. I'm also fairly certain that it will be very tough to get the proper ester profile as their yeast is certainly propriatary after all of these years.

This will nail it. If you don't have pale chocolate malt, use 2-3 oz of regular choco malt, pacman, WLP001/1056 or even better, the Leueven Pale Ale yeast from Wyeast.

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
0.50 lb Pale Chocolate Malt
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 20
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 40
0.25 lb Munich Malt
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt
0.25 lb Aromatic

1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
Mash at 154 for 60

I know this is a complicated grain bill.....but it is going to be really good. Neutral Yeast is definetly part of it. I will use pacman again

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.42 %
Bitterness: 16.4 IBU Calories: 235 cal/pint

It might hit it dead on for the current iteration of FT but it looks hard to fathom that it would match the FT of half a decade or so ago. The current rendition is sorely lacking the bready flavor it used to bring.

That said, what you can make at home is usually so much better than the current commercial offering I take at least a little solace that my backwards state doesn't allow it. As it is one of my wifes favs (and not a porter/stout like she usually leans towards) I have tried many of them. Hopheads is imo the most superior as far as those we've done.

FWIW (and tbf it may be what my lhbs labels as biscuit malt) Victory malt makes a notable difference in the end result. It adds a really faint toasty note hard to match perfectly imo. And if you oven toast preheat with a pie pan filled with boiling water and leave in during the toast. Eliminates the occasional astringent note.

New Belgium does not have a proprietary yeast for Fat Tire. It is just good ol' 1056.
That being said stop trying to clone a "belgian" amber ale from NBB and create something better.
Fat Tire is just mass produced amber...like a bud light for the craft industry. You can make better at home!

PickledWalnut said:
New Belgium does not have a proprietary yeast for Fat Tire. It is just good ol' 1056.
That being said stop trying to clone a "belgian" amber ale from NBB and create something better.
Fat Tire is just mass produced amber...like a bud light for the craft industry. You can make better at home!

Wrong, they use a proprietary strain. Wyeast even realeased it a few years back as one of the seasonals.

That may be true to some extent but to my understanding it is still originally the 1056 but has mutated over time to a point they liked where it was at so they banked it.

And @Pickledwalnut.... Yes, you might be able to make better at home but if they like it I think it's rather foolish to discourage people from trying to mimic something they know they like and branch out from there. And while it is indeed just an amber, the implication that it's about equal to a bottle of Budweiser swill. Mock them if you wish but I've seen Fat Tire along with 3 or 4 of those other "It's just a..." beers start opening the eyes of people who were convinced BMC created the stars, the heavens, and the skies above. I can't see that as anything but a good thing. Also keep in mind, for some of us... crafting our own i still considered highly illegal.

Another Fat Tire Recipe- I got this from a brew buddy

Here is one I did a few weeks ago and it turned out really good. It is, IMO, the best beer I have brewed to date...very similar to the recipe that Airborneguy submitted. Check it out:

5.5 Gallon batch/ All grain

8 lb 10 oz (3.9 kg) Pale Malt
1.0 Lb (.45 kg) Munich Malt
6.0 0z (.17 KG) Victory Malt
8.0 oz (.23 kg) Crystal Malt (60 L)
4.4 AAU Target Hops (60 mins) (.5oz/11g of 10.7% alpha hops)
2.5 AAU Williamette Hops (10 mins) (.5 oz/14g of 5% alpha acids)
.5 oz (14g) Goldings Hops (Flame out)

Wyeast 1792 (Fat Tire Ale), Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) or White Labs WLP051 (California Ale V) yeast

I used the 1272...
Step by step:

Mash at 154 F for 60 mins...mash out and rest for 10 mins
Boiled 7 Gallons for about 5.5 in the primary
Boil for 90 mins, adding hops at indicated times
Ferment at 68F...I did One week Primary, 2 weeks Secondary, then bottled.

after 1 week the beer has turned out very good. My buddy put it against a Southern Pecan and said it was a pretty close match. I think the color was lighter than the Southern Pecan for sure, but the flavor is so mellow and tasty-I had to share. One of the cool things about this beer is that as you know, you buy the hops by the oz and the recipe only calls for half of the hops purchased which means now I only have to buy the grain and yeast to make another batch!

Let me know what you think.

Taco:D

I think that's the recipe I started with before making minor changes based on how I thought it would translate on my system. I have a ton of Fat Tire right now that my step-sister brought me back from the OBX. I should really try this again soon to compare.

If you haven't you need to, hands down no comparison to the stuff coming from the bottle. It even tastes "fresher" than you will get at a bar on tap. It really becomes hop forward. My post should have read have you had it FROM the can, because of course you need to pour it into a glass to release the hop aromas. This has inspired me to dry hop my last couple Fat Tire clones, with great results.

Here's mine.

2 Row (Briess) 9.00 lb
6 Row Chocolate (Briess) 0.13 lb
Biscuit Malt 1.00 lb
Munich Malt 1.00 lb
American Crystal Malt 40 0.50 lb

single infusion mash @ 154

Willamette 0.75 oz 4.3% FWH then 60min
Fuggle (US) 0.75 oz 5.3% FWH then 60min
Willamette 1.25 oz 4.3% Dry hop 7-10 days
Fuggle (US) 1.25 oz 5.3% Dry hop 7-10 days

S-05 @68 deg. I've tried Notty, but gets a little fruity at 68 deg.

SRM= 11
IBU= 24 avg.
ABV= 5.5-6%

I have one more tweak to the grain bill, that I am going to try, and then lock in on one of the two. Dropping the choc. adding brown malt, and backing down the buscuit, because I get some of that with the brown. SRM stays at 11.

2 Row (Briess) 8.00 lb
Brown Malt 0.50 lb
Biscuit Malt 0.75 lb
Munich Malt 1.00 lb
American Crystal Malt 40 1.00 lb

Have you guys tried fat tire directly from the factory or does it not taste like what you get from the bottle? The reason I ask is when I toured the brewery a couple years ago the fat tire I had there tasted totally different from what I normally get from the local distributor ( I'm in NM). Please let me know as what I got from the brewery I absolutely loved, while what is locally available I could care less for.

Like I said above, get it in cans, huge difference from the bottles. It will be more of that factory fresh flavor that you are talking about. I see they have Ranger IPA in cans now also.:mug:

Also, yesterday I just dry hopped my latest batch of FT with 1.5oz Willamette, and 2oz cocoa nibs.
Trying to achieve that slight chocolate flavor I get on the tail end without the added color that chocolate malt brings with it.

lalnx said:
Like I said above, get it in cans, huge difference from the bottles. It will be more of that factory fresh flavor that you are talking about. I see they have Ranger IPA in cans now also.:mug:

Also, yesterday I just dry hopped my latest batch of FT with 1.5oz Willamette, and 2oz cocoa nibs.
Trying to achieve that slight chocolate flavor I get on the tail end without the added color that chocolate malt brings with it.

Just made a version the other day. Hydrometer sample was promising, no chocolate finish despite using 4oz Belgian Chocolate malt in the mash. I like your idea of nibs in the secondary, I'll decide in three weeks after primary.

To sivdrinks,

The cocoa nibs do the trick for that hint of chocolate in the finish. This is the 4th variation to my recipe, and the only one that I have achieved the chocolate on the back end that I have been looking for. I'm very upset with myself though, as I put in a full pound of brown malt, when I had intended on only .5 lb. This clone is now a delicious brown ale instead of an amber ale. Just wish I would have added the right amount, then I would know better if it fit the flavor properly. At a full pound, it seems to not belong. So, next round will be either a rebrew of variation 4 with the proper amount of brown malt this time, or variation 5, both mashed at 154.

variation 4 grain bill (lbs)
2 Row (Briess) 9.00
Brown Malt 0.50
Biscuit Malt 1.00
American Crystal Malt 40 0.50

variation 5 grain bill (lbs)
2 Row (Briess) 8.00
Biscuit Malt 1.50
Munich Malt 1.00

hop schedule
Magnum 0.32oz 14.7AA 60min
Willamette 0.50oz 4.7AA 10min

dry hop
Willamette 1.50oz 4.7AA 10days
Cocoa Nibs 2.00oz 10days

lalnx said:
To sivdrinks,

The cocoa nibs do the trick for that hint of chocolate in the finish. This is the 4th variation to my recipe, and the only one that I have achieved the chocolate on the back end that I have been looking for. I'm very upset with myself though, as I put in a full pound of brown malt, when I had intended on only .5 lb. This clone is now a delicious brown ale instead of an amber ale. Just wish I would have added the right amount, then I would know better if it fit the flavor properly. At a full pound, it seems to not belong. So, next round will be either a rebrew of variation 4 with the proper amount of brown malt this time, or variation 5, both mashed at 154.

variation 4 grain bill (lbs)
2 Row (Briess) 9.00
Brown Malt 0.50
Biscuit Malt 1.00

variation 5 grain bill (lbs)
2 Row (Briess) 8.00
Biscuit Malt 1.50
Munich Malt 1.00

hop schedule
Magnum 0.32oz 14.7AA 60min
Willamette 0.50oz 4.7AA 10min

dry hop
Willamette 1.50oz 4.7AA 10days
Cocoa Nibs 2.00oz 10days

My hydro sample didn't taste like much, here's my recipe.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1644086

sivdrinks,
your recipe is most similar to my second variation, lots of different grains in similar proportions, it made a good drinkable beer, although on the darker end of amber, and no particular flavor seemed to dominate the beer. I also only had 8 oz biscuit(victory) in that one, and have since increased to 1lb, and may go forward with 1.5lb now. I had gone down to as little as 2oz chocolate malt, (similar to your 4oz pale choc) and at those levels to keep the color light, it gave virtually no choc flavor to the beer. That is why I now use the nibs. I think the color for fat tire should be in the 9-10 SRM range. (at least that is where I have to design for with the spread sheet I use)

I better get drinking, so I can get a new variation into the pipeline. :cross:

I would sure like to get this to where I think it is "right" then It will likely be a standard offering on my keezer, and my first posted "recipe".

lalnx said:
sivdrinks,
your recipe is most similar to my second variation, lots of different grains in similar proportions, it made a good drinkable beer, although on the darker end of amber, and no particular flavor seemed to dominate the beer. I also only had 8 oz biscuit(victory) in that one, and have since increased to 1lb, and may go forward with 1.5lb now. I had gone down to as little as 2oz chocolate malt, (similar to your 4oz pale choc) and at those levels to keep the color light, it gave virtually no choc flavor to the beer. That is why I now use the nibs. I think the color for fat tire should be in the 9-10 SRM range. (at least that is where I have to design for with the spread sheet I use)

I better get drinking, so I can get a new variation into the pipeline. :cross:

I would sure like to get this to where I think it is "right" then It will likely be a standard offering on my keezer, and my first posted "recipe".

Color is really damn close. Not in a hurry to get this on tap so it'll probably sit at least 8 weeks. Any thoughts on how much nibs for how long in secondary? Going to GABF so maybe I'll try to get some info outta them ;)

Color is really damn close. Not in a hurry to get this on tap so it'll probably sit at least 8 weeks. Any thoughts on how much nibs for how long in secondary? Going to GABF so maybe I'll try to get some info outta them ;)

GABF......Lucky!

for the nibs, I did 2oz for 10, maybe 11 days. I didin't soak them in vodka or anything either, which I've read helps with extraction. This gave a noticable flavor as is, and I don't think any more would be fitting or necessary. I dry hopped with 1.5 oz willamette at this time also. (I have a dryhopping addiction)

I would bet if you talk to New Belgium @ GABF, neither the nibs or dry hopping are part of thier recipe, but it is the only way I've been able to get it to taste like it does out of a fresh keg or can.

lalnx said:
GABF......Lucky!

for the nibs, I did 2oz for 10, maybe 11 days. I didin't soak them in vodka or anything either, which I've read helps with extraction. This gave a noticable flavor as is, and I don't think any more would be fitting or necessary. I dry hopped with 1.5 oz willamette at this time also. (I have a dryhopping addiction)

I would bet if you talk to New Belgium @ GABF, neither the nibs or dry hopping are part of thier recipe, but it is the only way I've been able to get it to taste like it does out of a fresh keg or can.

Unfortunately I don't remember much from GABF so no secrets here. I did get a stick of Ranger IPA lip balm that's pretty sweet and a coosy;)

So my Fat Tire is very much lacking the chocolate aroma and flair of the original. Betting cocoa powder is the missing link, just not sure where to put it.

I do 2 oz cocoa nibs in the primary after fermentation is complete, think dry hopping. pre soak the nibs in a little vodka for at least a week prior to adding them. My last batch is getting kegged wedensday hopfully it is going to have enough chocolate to it. I was dumping in my dry hops and the nibs into the fermenter, had a brain fart, and wasn't holding my hop bag over the bucket when I started to add the vodka/nibs, and a lot of the liquid ended up on my floor.
:drunk:

lalnx said:
I do 2 oz cocoa nibs in the primary after fermentation is complete, think dry hopping. pre soak the nibs in a little vodka for at least a week prior to adding them. My last batch is getting kegged wedensday hopfully it is going to have enough chocolate to it. I was dumping in my dry hops and the nibs into the fermenter, had a brain fart, and wasn't holding my hop bag over the bucket when I started to add the vodka/nibs, and a lot of the liquid ended up on my floor.
:drunk:

I did 2oz nibs in secondary for about two weeks I think, maybe more. There's just something about the smell and taste I don't like, too earthy or clean, not sure how to put it. It's definitely not the answer for flavor though, not chocolatey enough. My color is darker than the original Fat Tire also so adding more chocolate malt probably isn't the answer. More Victory and maybe nibs at flameout?

Greetings. I just made your recipe Friday night, my first all-grain and only my fourth effort. Do you remember at what temperature you fermented and will it make much of a difference.? For example will it matter much if fermentation is at 62 or 70?

As evidence of my inexperience, I neglected to note that I was addressing my question to Permo, having used that all gran recipe posted in April 2012

This beer definitely gets better with age. Like 12 weeks age, forget about this a while and brew something with a quick turnaround to get ya through.

I just whipped this one up last night. It was my second batch of the day so I was pretty tuckered but I've got high hopes for it. I used the permo version. Got my fingers crossed that I didn't screw something up in 8th hour.

I just whipped this one up last night. It was my second batch of the day so I was pretty tuckered but I've got high hopes for it. I used the permo version. Got my fingers crossed that I didn't screw something up in 8th hour.

So how did it turn out? I'm going to try the permo version also.

So how did it turn out? I'm going to try the permo version also.

Outstanding. I was worried because my corny didn't seal after I kegged it and i didn't notice for 3 days. *******. But I'm having one now and it's awesome. Turned out great and I highly recommend.

Back