Increasing quantity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgoyne

Reaction score
I just purchased my latest recipe to brew 5 gallons. How difficult would it be to increase my final fermentation quantity to 7 gallons? Would I have to add to my ingredients?
I am brewing a Nut Brown Ale.

If you are assembling the ingredients for your own brews (instead of buying premeasured kits) you can easily do the math by hand or buy some brewing software like Beersmith and it will do all of the adjustments for you. Right now, Morebeer.com has Beersmith II on sale for around $20.

Changing the ingredients is the easy part. What are you going to ferment 7 gallons in? Do you plan to split it up?

I have an old 2 gallon Mr. Beer fermenter I am trying to make use of.

You'll want to make a yeast starter if you aren't going to buy more than one yeast vial/pack. For almost any beer you do a single vial/pack will contain less than the optimum number of cells required. If you up the size of the batch you will dilute your yeast even more. Underpitching strains the yeast, producing off flavors, and it leaves room for infection.

Back