brewing in the snow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pannell77

Reaction score
well its 24deg out and snowing...sounded like a perfect time to fire up the burners and start brewing a coconut/vanilla porter in the garage with some makers on the rocks to keep me warm. Cheers!
:mug:

20121229_140506 by pannell77, on Flickr

photo added. lighting sucks though. only hit 57% efficiency today for some reason, usually i am around 75%

photo added. lighting sucks though. only hit 57% efficiency today for some reason, usually i am around 75%

Your grain's teeth were chattering too much from the cold... :D

I'm brewing tomorrow in the basement (maiden run on the setup there). It's in the upper 40's in that area, so we'll see how it is.

Technically it's not in the snow unless you are really outside and not in the garage. But still a nice day to brew. Ever heard of a hot scottchy? Take some wort before the boil in a coffee mug, add some scotch to it and drink. Keeps you warm and surprisingly good.

Nice post and I think the pic does the thread justice.

I had pictured you on the back deck with a tuque on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_White_North_(album)

lol that was me yesterday trying out my new burner that I quite literately stuck into a snow drift to set up. Should have taken a pick. Took me just as long to get to get a 5g boil as it did to get 3.5g on the stove before... Think that had something to do with the cold blowing wind? :D I'm not sure the temp yesterday but it was cold and windy and Canada so use your imagination (Canadians don't look at the temp outside we just put on a coat and hat and go about our day).

My dad is visiting from the Yukon and said if I tried that in Whitehorse the bottom of the pot would be warm and the top would be frozen over....

lol that was me yesterday trying out my new burner that I quite literately stuck into a snow drift to set up. Should have taken a pick. Took me just as long to get to get a 5g boil as it did to get 3.5g on the stove before... Think that had something to do with the cold blowing wind? :D I'm not sure the temp yesterday but it was cold and windy and Canada so use your imagination (Canadians don't look at the temp outside we just put on a coat and hat and go about our day).

My dad is visiting from the Yukon and said if I tried that in Whitehorse the bottom of the pot would be warm and the top would be frozen over....

I had a friend that had made an insulated blanket with what looked like aluminum foils wrapped around pink fiberglass insulation. He would wrap the boil pot in that and use it to conserve heat. I don't have a picture.

Back