what is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apple_Jacker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just transferred my margarita wine to the secondary and I noticed 2 thin layers of something floating on the surface. It didn't look normal to me, so I took a few pictures. I'm hoping it is just a mass of discolored lime pulp. Can anybody wager a guess as to what this stuff is?

ForumRunner_20121002_070911.jpg

ForumRunner_20121002_070943.jpg

ForumRunner_20121002_071020.jpg

Yeah, I'm thinking it's pulp. Although the thought "pinky mouse" DID cross my mind.

When you stir your wine just fish it out and take a close look to make sure it isn't a baby Ben :-D

springmom said:
Yeah, I'm thinking it's pulp. Although the thought "pinky mouse" DID cross my mind.

When you stir your wine just fish it out and take a close look to make sure it isn't a baby Ben :-D

I have no idea what any of that means, but I'll fish it out when the time comes. I added some Simply Limeade to reduce the head space. I only had the 6.5 gallon carboy available. But, I did the same thing with my skeeter pee and it turned out fine and fermentation didn't start back up.

I'm feeling very, very old then. Go Google "Ben", a movie about ... Well, go Google it. A pinky Is a baby mouse. So called because they're mostly hairless. Your blob looks a bit like one.

if it isn't growing in size and just floating there, it is likely pulp or perhaps some crap you missed in washing/sanitizing. as long as it isn't alive and growing, it is probably fine.

Back