2 brew kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tflew

Reaction score
I'm planning out my first AG batch and I currently have a 5 gallon BK. Since boil volumes would be higher than my capacity, it I want to end up with 5 gallons in the fermentor would it be a problem to just split the wort into two different pots? If so would I need to divide the hops between the two of them or would it not really matter?

I'm planning out my first AG batch and I currently have a 5 gallon BK. Since boil volumes would be higher than my capacity, it I want to end up with 5 gallons in the fermentor would it be a problem to just split the wort into two different pots? If so would I need to divide the hops between the two of them or would it not really matter?

Yes you'd need to divide the hops and probably increase them by about 10% (a shot-in-the-dark). Less volume reduces hops utilization. It may not be overly noticeable but it's a fact. Basically if you use software, you should be able to formulate a half-batch recipes and make sure the hops additions are the same IBU's you need to get based on original recipe.

You can split the boil if you want to, you're not the first brewer to ever have to do such a thing! :mug: Be careful to not boil the snot out of your smaller kettle.

Another option is to prepare your recipe for a 5 gallon batch but only produce 3.5-4 gallons of extra-concentrated wort in your 5 gallon brew kettle, then top off with chilled distilled water on brewday.

Sounds like it's time to get another (bigger) kettle! Don't get rid of your trusty 5 gallon pot, though -- I use my original 5 gallon pot almost every brewday to heat infusions etc. Happy brewing!

Yes you'd need to divide the hops and probably increase them by about 10% (a shot-in-the-dark). Less volume reduces hops utilization. It may not be overly noticeable but it's a fact. Basically if you use software, you should be able to formulate a half-batch recipes and make sure the hops additions are the same IBU's you need to get based on original recipe.

If the goal is to divide and boil 6 gallons of wort to get a final volume of 5 gallons, no adjustments need to be made to the hops since they will be boiled/utilized in full wort volume.

A convenient division would be 2 gallons in your kitchen's biggest sauce pot and 4 gallons in your brew kettle. Put about 1/3 of each hop addition into the small kettle and the remaining 2/3 into the large kettle.

If the goal is to divide and boil 6 gallons of wort to get a final volume of 5 gallons, no adjustments need to be made to the hops since they will be boiled/utilized in full wort volume.

A convenient division would be 2 gallons in your kitchen's biggest sauce pot and 4 gallons in your brew kettle. Put about 1/3 of each hop addition into the small kettle and the remaining 2/3 into the large kettle.

As long as the boil sizes increase in each half and the wort gravity is the same (which it should be) then yes. But to simply halve the preboil volume you'll lose utilization and also likely boil off too much wort.

I get 2.6 less IBU's in splitting the batch, including larger boil volumes in the halves to accomodate boiloff. If I simply take a 5g batch and then split the boil (essentially with too little volume in each half) I get 3.2 less IBU's in the half batches, as they will need to be topped off.

Thanks for the input everyone ill plug whatever recipe I come up with into BS later tonight and split accordingly. And bigbeergeek I couldnt agree more...I found a 15.5 gal keg on craigslist that I ended up buying for cheap...now to collect money to convert to keggle and for an outdoor burner...

As long as the boil sizes increase in each half and the wort gravity is the same (which it should be) then yes. But to simply halve the preboil volume you'll lose utilization and also likely boil off too much wort.

I get 2.6 less IBU's in splitting the batch, including larger boil volumes in the halves to accomodate boiloff. If I simply take a 5g batch and then split the boil (essentially with too little volume in each half) I get 3.2 less IBU's in the half batches, as they will need to be topped off.

If you split a batch you'll have to work around the evaporation losses (less vigorous boil etc).

As far as 3 IBUs difference: no human can taste a 3 IBU difference (you'll lab equipment to measure the difference, not brewing software), so that doesn't matter.

If you split a batch you'll have to work around the evaporation losses (less vigorous boil etc).

As far as 3 IBUs difference: no human can taste a 3 IBU difference (you'll lab equipment to measure the difference, not brewing software), so that doesn't matter.

Right, but in larger batches as things scale up, and for the sake of accuracy, I wanted to be clear. Never know who might take this info and do something with it.

:mug:

Back