Standard 2 door fridge/freezer combo to single door kegerator and ferm chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tzarmek

Reaction score
I have recently started to modify a standard fridge fridge on the bottom and freezer up top to essentially a stand up freezer. Living in rural Maine it is hard to find what you want on craigslist. So far it has been extremely simple. I am going to be hooking up a TC-9102 to control temps for when I use it as a ferm chamber. Just wondering how many other people have converted the 2 door fridge into a single door single compartment fridge and how it worked out for them? I will post pics as I get them. So far I am working on getting the single door thing straightened out. Also has anyone else that has converted their fridges to ferm chambers thought about using a heat rock for reptiles as a heater rather than an inefficient light bulb?

Looking forward to updates and pictures:)
Heat rock heat pad or heat cable(I prefer cable)

Many fridge freezers have cooling lines inside the divider between the compartments(and it can be hard to know before you start converting)

Here is a picture after it has been eviscerated.

DSC_0455.jpg

I was concerned about it having lines between compartments but once we started taking out the light fixture that was at the top and got the plastic piece off it was just a 1 inch piece of styrofoam and a small aluminium sheet separating them.

Nice work
If you attach the doors and glue on a piece of plywood on the outside, there will pretty much be insulation and gasket remaining
using the gasket from the part of the doors that meet wont be werry pretty, so you might want to find some other gasket

If you put the gasket on the fridge instead of the door, you can have the doors in 2 parts(top shelve with beer and not needing to open the whole door to get it)

Woops you said ferm chamber, guess you wont be serving beer fromit then

Wago connectors is nice to use when you do away with most of the loose wiering

actually, in the aspect of light in a closed environment, the light bulb would be close to 100% efficient and fathoms cheaper than a reptile pad.

Looks good! Good to know the divider between the two compartments didn't have any lines running through it. Also planning on doing this to my old fridge.

For doors, the easiest would probably be to mount the old doors back and just fix them together so they open at the same time. Just need the connecting bit to be solid enough and put on some insulation. Fabricating a new door would probably be more trouble than it's worth - proper alignment, gaskets to seal it properly, etc

Back