Infection or normal??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottomzUp

Reaction score
Hey guys could you please look at this pic and see if you all think it's an infection or just part of the normal brewing process. Thanks in advance.

image-1722310811.jpg

looks like yeast are doing thier job, I am hoping you get alot more of it.

This is my second batch of beer. Exract IPA I came up with after watching some videos and reading on here. Did not get og bc I was to impatient to wait on the hydro to come in the mail so it came on a week after I put this in the primary. :).

boil water, pitch the yeast and pray it turns out 6 weeks later

i still get nervous after about 2 years of brewing.. LOL

You n me both! :mug: I do my best not to let those li'l worries get to me, I've learned to put alot of trust in the yeast. I know if I give them what they need to make beer, fermentables, nutrient, o2, their favorite temp and a little time, they won't let me down. That said, I watch every ferment like a newborn baby it's first night home from the hospital. :ban:

Heh, I think my first post on here was because I was pissing my pants over some perfectly normal yeast rafts. :)

Thanks for all the re-assuring on this batch of beer. It get to get bottled on Friday and can't wait. And ps I did check mine with a flashlight last night. ;)

BottomzUp

I'm in the flashlight club as well, mine has a strobe option that you can really see the yeast's movement!

Boy, you guys are weird. :D I have a bucket fermenter and I don't even open it until bottling unless I need to add something. It still makes beer. The yeast know how to do it. :mug:

I have the same thing on my IPA. It's was started on 1/17 and i am leaving it for another two weeks until I keg it.
I hope it is ok but after all the infection threads, I am getting nervous.

3d8c8040.jpg

I have the same thing on my IPA. It's was started on 1/17 and i am leaving it for another two weeks until I keg it.

This beer looks fine to me...just some yeast rafts....and Man I gotta get me one of those strobe flashlights :D

Boy, you guys are weird. :D I have a bucket fermenter and I don't even open it until bottling unless I need to add something. It still makes beer. The yeast know how to do it. :mug:

you, my friend, are right. :mug: at least speaking for myself, i'm kinda weird. :ban: i do ferment in glass carboys mostly, so the voyeurism is to be expected. when i do ferment in a bucket, i end up wishing i could see it and impatiently wait for the first FG reading. (i'd never open a bucket just to look)

3d8c8040.jpg

you have nothing to worry about, your pic also shows yeast rafting. it's very common. use those 'is it infected' threads as consolation, the vast majority of those are new brewers worried after seeing rafting for the first time. :mug:

I use a flashlight as well to take a look and see what's going on. Just wait until you get an extremely active fermentation, those are always fun to watch the krausen and bubbles rising to the top of the carboy.

I remember going down to my coopers fermenter a week and half into fermenting and seeing these little white dots floating.... my heart sank... i did everything... and I'm infected...

Then I came to this site, and again the good advice here put my mind at ease. Now that brew is chillin in the fridge now.

Back