paint stirrer for dough-in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using a metal paint stirrer on a corded drill to aid with dough-in in the mash tun. I don't think it needs to be used during the mash. It would be nice to have a mechanical advantage instead of manually stirring so much. It may also minimize heat loss because the job can be done faster.

Has anyone done this and had any experience with it?

Seems like overkill. Since I've been malt conditioning, dough in is stupidly easy, I stir for maybe 2 minutes tops.

_

My drill already wobbles just to spite me. So maybe this would be some sweet revenge for all those 'not-quite-round-holes' it has drilled over the years.....

Are those things food grade?

I just use a long handled SS spoon, and lots of forearm action.

Adding malt a couple of pounds at a time helps. Add malt, stir the crap out of it, add more malt, repeat.

:rockin:

Maybe you could find a wooden spoon, shave down the handle to fit your drill and use that.

You could have the "coolness" of wood and still punish your drill!

I've been using mine and it makes it easy. Doing 18 gallon batches, but I'm concerned about the O2 it brings into the mash. I've been hearing how important it is to keep it out of every step in brewing. I saw a clip from Avery and Sierrra that said it was impotant to keep it out of the mash. Can't say I can tell any difference. :drunk:

Back