iodophor flavor in homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
ive researched and have seen that its pretty tough to detect iodophor in your homebrew, even when using large amounts of it. i do have this off-flavor in my latest batch though. what could it be? i have some thoughts, but just wondering if anyone has an answer from trial and error.

-iodophor, i dont think i used enough for this to be the problem but this is what it tastes like

-stale hops, stored in freezer and used within a week of purchase

-oxidation, fermenter wasnt touched but i forgot to purge the keg for about 6 hours after kegging

any ideas?

ive researched and have seen that its pretty tough to detect iodophor in your homebrew, even when using large amounts of it. i do have this off-flavor in my latest batch though. what could it be? i have some thoughts, but just wondering if anyone has an answer from trial and error.

-iodophor, i dont think i used enough for this to be the problem but this is what it tastes like

-stale hops, stored in freezer and used within a week of purchase

-oxidation, fermenter wasnt touched but i forgot to purge the keg for about 6 hours after kegging

any ideas?
Some people are very taste sensitive to iodine/iodophor. I am one of that group, and perhaps you are also. No fear, it won't hurt you. Just drink up the beer, then see if starsan works for you.:)
Hops: nope.
oxydation: nope. Doesn't taste like iodine.

Some people are very taste sensitive to iodine/iodophor. I am one of that group, and perhaps you are also. No fear, it won't hurt you. Just drink up the beer, then see if starsan works for you.:)
Hops: nope.
oxydation: nope. Doesn't taste like iodine.

im def gonna try starsan on this next batch and see if there is a change...

I can smell iodine/Iodophor a mile away, and I can taste it if the dilution is a bit more than the amount recommended on the package. I can't if the recommended dosage is used- or at least I couldn't in the past.

But one time I took a sip of homebrew and went, "Whoa! You use Iodophor, huh?" to the brewer. He said that he did. I asked if you used the recommended amount, and he said "sort of. I just mix it until it's bright urine color.". Well, apparently "bright urine color" brings it above the taste threshold, and I've been sensitive to the taste of iodophor ever since!

I love Iodophor, but I rarely use it because of the smell. I keep it on hand, though, just in case I run out of star-san or ever want to use something different on equipment.

I can smell iodine/Iodophor a mile away, and I can taste it if the dilution is a bit more than the amount recommended on the package. I can't if the recommended dosage is used- or at least I couldn't in the past.

But one time I took a sip of homebrew and went, "Whoa! You use Iodophor, huh?" to the brewer. He said that he did. I asked if you used the recommended amount, and he said "sort of. I just mix it until it's bright urine color.". Well, apparently "bright urine color" brings it above the taste threshold, and I've been sensitive to the taste of iodophor ever since!

I love Iodophor, but I rarely use it because of the smell. I keep it on hand, though, just in case I run out of star-san or ever want to use something different on equipment.

yep, you've just completely convinced me to use starsan for my next batch(s)

Back