Avery New World Porter, Hop Rod Rye, 65-65-65-65?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Does anyone have any of these recipes they can post? I still can only do a mini-mash.

hop rod extract partial mash
on tap now and it is good! looks light with the LME next time I'll use standrad DME. prepare for massive fermentation and secondary for will take more than usual.

Extract - Golden Light Liquid Extract 6.00 lbs Start Of Boil
US Flaked Rye 1.25 lbs
US Munich 10L Malt 1.00 lbs
US White Wheat Malt 0.50 lbs
US Carapils Malt 0.50 l bs
US Black Malt 0.13 lbs
US Rye Malt 2.50 lbs
2-row 2.00 lbs

60 US Columbus(Tomahawk) 15.5 2.0 oz Pelletized Hops
30 US Centennial 8.5 0.5 oz Pelletized Hops
0 US Columbus(Tomahawk) 15.5 2.0 oz Pelletized Hops
dry US Amarillo 5.0 1.0 oz Pelletized Hops
dry US Centennial 8.5 1.0 oz Pelletized Hops

15 irish moss
Wyeast 1272-American Ale II

Pre-Boil Wort Volume: 4.25 US gals Post-Boil Wort Volume: 4.00 US gals
Pre-Ferment Batch Volume: 5.50 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.046 SG Expected OG: 1.076 SG
Expected FG: 1.020 SG
Expected ABV: 7.5 % Expected ABW: 5.9 %
Expected IBU: 76.7 Expected Color: 12.8 SRM
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 % Approx Color:
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 70 degF

Thanks for the recipe.

I've been searching everywhere for the New World Porter clone recipe but so far I'm having no luck...

Apparently there should be an Avery NWP recipe in BYO Sept. '05. Does anyone have this and if so can they post it?

I would also need help converting it to a mini mash style recipe. Is there something documented out there on how to do this? That would be a big help as well.

I have it....give me a minute....

EDIT: Here ya go!

EDIT 2: AVERY NEW WORLD PORTER clone recipe BYO Sept. 2005

(5 gallon extract w/grains)
OG 1.067 FG 1.017
IBU 44 SRM 63 ABV 6.5%

Ingredients:

2 lbs. Briess light DME
4.88 lbs. briess Light LME
1.33 lbs Munich malt (10 °L)
1 lb., 2.66 oz. Crystal 120L
9.33 oz Carapils
9.33 oz. Chocolate malt
7.0 oz. Black patent malt

4.24 AAU Columbus hops (60 mins) (0.33 oz./9.2 g of 13% alpha acids)
3.24 AAU Columbus hops (30 mins) (0.25 oz./7.1 g of 13% alpha acids)
12.5 AAU Columbus hops (0 mins) (0.96 oz./27 g of 13% alpha acids)
8.2 AAU Fuggles hops (0 mins) (1.64 oz./46 g of 5% alpha acids)
1.2 oz. Fuggles hops (Dry hop)

Wyeast 1028

The only thing it says in the instructions is to add the LME in the last 15 minutes. Everything else is standard.

It does not have a partial mash option printed, btu an AG option is printed.
Instead of the extracts, use 9 lbs., 7.5 oz of pale 2-row, add an additional pound of Munich for a total of 2.33lbs. Mash at 156°.

I must say, I'm very dissapointed in all of you.....especially you Dude.

Just kidding! But I would appreciate that recipe from BYO and help coverting it to a mini-mash!

(in case you didn't notice, this was my feeble attempt at a bump) :D

HurricaneFloyd said:
I must say, I'm very dissapointed in all of you.....especially you Dude.

Just kidding! But I would appreciate that recipe from BYO and help coverting it to a mini-mash!

(in case you didn't notice, this was my feeble attempt at a bump) :D

I have no conversion to partial mash experience, it would be a total crapshoot.

BTW, that recipe I posted above is Avery New World Porter from BYO. You do the rest. :p

Funny that recipe calls for DME and LME...and added at different times no less...I wonder what subtle extract qualities they hope to achieve that way ;)

Cheers :D

Janx said:
Funny that recipe calls for DME and LME...and added at different times no less...I wonder what subtle extract qualities they hope to achieve that way ;)

I was more interested in why you need precisely 2.66 oz. of something. Round it up to 3 and put it in. Cripes.

LOL...I didn't even notice that...that there is one precise recipe!

Of course, I always weigh my grain to the 100th of a gram, personally. The beer will turn out undrinkable if you don't. ;)

Thanks for the recipe! :rockin:

Stupid question time, if the recipe has DME and LME in it, wouldn't that already be in partial mash form?

I'm headed out to the Weekend Brewer tomorrow to pick up the ingredients!

HurricaneFloyd said:
Thanks for the recipe! :rockin:

Stupid question time, if the recipe has DME and LME in it, wouldn't that already be in partial mash form?

I'm headed out to the Weekend Brewer tomorrow to pick up the ingredients!

Nope. Partial mash is pretty much an all-grain recipe, you are just supplementing the grain with DME to get a decent OG.

Partial mashing is mostly for brewers who want to do AG but don't have the room for the equipment. You can do the partial mash in a pot on your stove/oven. I suggest you read up on it before you do it so you know what you are getting into. Palmer has a good section in his book.

Janx said:
LOL...I didn't even notice that...that there is one precise recipe!

Of course, I always weigh my grain to the 100th of a gram, personally. The beer will turn out undrinkable if you don't. ;)

BYO does that with everything. I respect that they are trying to get the clone recipes as exact as possible, but I'm content with a few more or a few less gravity points for simplicity sake. Same with the hops. A couple of IBUs either way ain't gonna make a huge diff.

Dude said:
Nope. Partial mash is pretty much an all-grain recipe, you are just supplementing the grain with DME to get a decent OG.

Partial mashing is mostly for brewers who want to do AG but don't have the room for the equipment. You can do the partial mash in a pot on your stove/oven. I suggest you read up on it before you do it so you know what you are getting into. Palmer has a good section in his book.

:confused:

Wow, I don't know why I'm not understanding this but...... the recipe you posted states 5 gal extract w/ grains. How is this any different than a partial mash? I've done 2 partial mash's so far and 2 batches with just steeping the grains and I realize there is a difference between mashing and steeping. I've read Palmer multiple times so I thought I knew what I was doing.

With that said, if I can't do a partial mash with this Avery New World Porter recipe, can anyone help me convert it so I can?

Thanks for the help, especially Dude! :mug:

HurricaneFloyd said:

Wow, I don't know why I'm not understanding this but...... the recipe you posted states 5 gal extract w/ grains. How is this any different than a partial mash? I've done 2 partial mash's so far and 2 batches with just steeping the grains and I realize there is a difference between mashing and steeping. I've read Palmer multiple times so I thought I knew what I was doing.

With that said, if I can't do a partial mash with this Avery New World Porter recipe, can anyone help me convert it so I can?

Thanks for the help, especially Dude! :mug:
The other question I have is that the recipe calls for some Munich malt. Will the munich convert from steeping the grains only? Does it even need to convert? I thought it did.

HurricaneFloyd said:

Wow, I don't know why I'm not understanding this but...... the recipe you posted states 5 gal extract w/ grains.

All this recipe is telling you to do is steep the grains.

RichBrewer said:
The other question I have is that the recipe calls for some Munich malt. Will the munich convert from steeping the grains only? Does it even need to convert? I thought it did.

Munich needs to convert, it is a base malt. If you steep it with some DME, it will convert--partially.

Dude said:
All this recipe is telling you to do is steep the grains.

Munich needs to convert, it is a base malt. If you steep it with some DME, it will convert--partially.

Actually I believe that munich does have enough diastatic power to convert itself. You don't even need DME.

EDIT: well if you are steeping with other grains then you would need some DME or 2-row to get a full conversion. If its just the munich it can handle that on its own.

Just steep, eh? Guess I'm trying to make thing more complicated than they should be.

I think I nailed it! I bottled this porter last night after 4 weeks in the secondary. I was afraid I let it dry hop too long but I just didn't have enough bottles to bottle the batch. I sampled it and it has a nice smokey-chocolatey flavor to it, nothing overpowering. I couldn't really taste/smell the fuggles or columbus which was a little suprising considering I used a lot of hops. Anyway, can't wait to taste it again in a couple weeks!

2.66 oz = 75 grams

I think I'll try making a summer ale starting from that mini-mash HRR.

Back