Labeled Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJasonT

Reaction score
Is anyone as nerdy as me and take the time to label fermenters?

image-980028903.jpg

In addition to a full brewing log with brew day, fermentation, and tasting notes, have I taken the nerdiness to a whole new level?

I write the date of purchase on each of my buckets and lids so that I keep them matched up and know how old they are and if I suspect any problems with infection/age/scratching, etc.. As for identifying the fermenters/beers - I just slap a piece of duct tape on them with the beer that is currently fermenting. All the details of that beer are in iBrewmaster on my iPad.

I take masking tape and label what's in all the carboys, then as I fill the corny kegs, I pull the label off and stick it to the keg. I have 8 carboys and 7kegs. I label my 25,,5gal homer buckets full of grain too. I'm getting old and I forget.

My opinion is that it took me about 5 minutes to do the labeling, I can know what beers have been where, and its required in a nanobrewery so I might as well do it!

I take masking tape and label what's in all the carboys, then as I fill the corny kegs, I pull the label off and stick it to the keg. I have 8 carboys and 7kegs. I label my 25,,5gal homer buckets full of grain too. I'm getting old and I forget.

I do exactly this, with some blue masking tape left over from a painting project a year or so ago.

It's become a great little moment of satisfaction at the end of my brew day, right after taking SG, pitching and lidding: pull a foot-long strip of tape, stick it across the fermenter lid, write the name. :rockin:

-Rich

I number my fermenters. I numbered them with a sharpie. I figure that way if I ever get and infected batch I know which fermenter was the culprit. Luckily I have nevr had an infected batch.

Then for each batch I write the date and the name of the brew on masking. tape.

I number my fermenters. I numbered them with a sharpie. I figure that way if I ever get and infected batch I know which fermenter was the culprit. Luckily I have nevr had an infected batch.

Then for each batch I write the date and the name of the brew on masking. tape.

This is exactly what I do. Helped me figure out the run of infections I was getting for about three or four batches was in my bottling equipment and not my fermenters.

I always hang a tag on my fermentors with batch, and brew date. SWMBO rolls her eyes but I love being "that guy". Then when I rack i hang the tags in my binder to keep track of them.

I do not label/name the fermenters, but i was just the other day thinking i needed to. This was after ruining my annual altbier because I forgot which fermenter just had a 100% Brett batch in it! I gambled...and lost :(

I do not label/name the fermenters, but i was just the other day thinking i needed to. This was after ruining my annual altbier because I forgot which fermenter just had a 100% Brett batch in it! I gambled...and lost :(

Yeah, that really hurts. I began labeling mine when I realized I had so many batches going and unlabeled that I had to tell them apart by remembering where in my storage room I'd placed them, and which ones had which style of airlock installed. It was becoming a recipe for real FAIL (especially since I tend to imbibe when I do brewing stuff), so I grabbed the tape and the Sharpie and haven't stopped since.

Turns out it can feel really good to have everything labeled. Who knew? :D

-Rich

I use a tag with a wire on it. I write the brew date, dry hopping additions, and temperature. When I keg I move the tag to the keg.

Used a sharpie and put date of purchase in bottom of bucket and#1, #2..... my carboys are 6 and 6-1/2 in my brew notes I write down what is in which.

My Fermenters are labeled "A" through "H"
My Kegs are numbered "1" through "26"

Just did this at the beginning of 2013
I used to just use tags, now all vessels have an I.D. and also get tagged.

I also tag each one of my fermenters using a small key tag with a string attached to it. I usually loop it through the carboy handle and move it along to the keg when the time comes. I also assign a batch number to each brew and record this information on both the tag and in my brew log where I record S.G.'s, brew and bottling dates.

Back