First time harvesting yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommybjr

Reaction score
I harvested and washed the yeast, WLP005, from my oatmeal stout. After sitting in the refrigerator, it separated. However, I don't see any troob. The top is obviously beer. Is the bottom all yeast, or did I do something wrong?

View attachment 51522

A little help please.

image-1172155878.jpg

image-2281131465.jpg

Let it compact a bit more (mine look like that after only a day in the fridge), but I'll bet that the dark is beer, the THIN brown line is yeast and the chunky tan stuff is trub.

Did you top crop the yeast during active fermentation of the stout? Or was it from a yeast cake, post fermentation? With top cropping, if you followed some of the common instructions to harvest and toss out an initial crop that often has trub particles mixed in, then took the second after it reforms, you could get quite clean yeast with no trub. And even on the yeast cake, if you do a thorough job of separating the wort from the trub when transferring to your fermenter, you can also get quite clean yeast. Especially if you just skimmed from the whiter surface layer.

Didn't see the pics when I first replied. Decant the beer off the top and rinse a few more times. As the liquid on top lightens up, you should start seeing better separation of the trub and yeast at bottom.

Latest posts

Back