Need some advise- Blowoff stuck in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
Hey guys, awhile back I posted that my 1" diameter blowoff tube got stuck in the neck of my 1 gallon carboy. I pulled the thing and twisted it for about 10 minutes, but couldn't get the damn thing off. I got frustrated and took out a razor blade and sliced through it, leaving about an inch length in the actual mouth/neck of the carboy. I put on my screw cap and airlock and put it in the closet and forgot about it.

Welllll, this coming weekend will be the 3rd full week in the primary. I know it's done fermenting (Dunkel) and it's definitely ready to bottle.

My predicament is that now I can't get the autosiphon down into the carboy because of the leftover (stuck) piece of blowoff tube.

What can I do here? I don't want to go jamming it down into the carboy for fear of never getting it out, and potentially infecting my beer. I also have no way to grip it and actually pull it out.

Help!

Tape it in place on one side and cut it vertically with a sharp knife on the other side.

Then you can overlap the sliced ends making the tube narrower and pull it out.

Now Just slice the blow off tube vertical, peel it off with a pliers...santitize the blade and pliers and you will be fine.

Lets see a picture. If its a glass carboy you might be able to get a small serated knife, or jigsaw blade, or something else like that to cut through the side, then maybe carefully use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull it out. sanitize everything first of course.

You could also just use a manual siphon using a couple hose clamps and water or sanitizer in the hose to get it started. Then you can work with an empty carboy to get it out without needing to worry about contamination.

Just use a regular racking cane to siphon the beer out, then you can work on getting the tube out without worrying about contaminating your batch.

How about an exacto knife (available in hobby stores, craft stores, Staples and Walmart)?
You should be able to slice through the wall of the tube, and it should come out easily once it is cut through. Sanitize it before using though.
You may also find that some needle nosed pliers (again sanitized) let you grab hold of the tube more firmly and pull it out without cutting.

Jeez, there were no replies when I started typing, but I was out of beer, so I had to pull a pint. Came back and hit submit, and was beaten by 5 others :)

-a.

Just use the racking cane ( the thin tube with the bend on one end that came with auto siphon.)

I got it. It was a PITA. The end of the 1" blowoff tube was all the way through the neck, and it expanded at the bottom, making it impossible to pull out. The exacto knife I had wasn't thin enough to get fully down into the carboy neck, so I could only slice about 1/4 inch of the tubing vertically. I then took a sanitized butter knife and slid it down between the glass and the tubing to loosen it a bit. Then grabbed it with the needle nosed pliers and twisted while I pulled. It took about 10 minutes of messing with it, but I got it out and don't think there was anyway I infected my beer. Phew....Thanks for the suggestions.

If it happens again try using a hair dryer on the hose to soften it up. I could not get my blowoff tube into my carboy. I ran the end of it under the hot water for a few minutes and it made it plyable enough where I got it into my carboy.

Back