Clearing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdcollette

Reaction score
I'm a sorta newbie (been brewing for about a year) and have had a good amount of success with regular off the shelf store bought apple juice. Only one batch went bad and most have turned out very well.

In October, I started a 4 gallon batch with some organic, unfiltered, fresh cider from a local orchard. I followed my tried brew procedure and let it go. What I've found unusual was that it has never cleared. I finally bottled it earlier this week and will let it settle for another few months. The store bought juice I usually use would clearly pretty quickly after I racked to the secondary, but this has remained hazy even after a month in secondary.

I have tasted samples and it has a bit more of a kick to it than usual, as I suspect that the fresh juice might've been sweeter than the store bought. However, there doesn't seem to be any off tastes.

Is it usual for unfiltered cider to remain hazy months after brewing?

Thanks!

Back