$16 Barleywine...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Was out to dinner last night and they had Barleywine for $16 a bottle. I had to laugh.

When I went to the Dogfish Head pub in Delaware recently I paid 16 bones for a 3 year old bottle of Old School Barleywine

Depends on the barleywine, depends on if it's a pint or a bomber or a 12 ounce bottle. Expensive to drink at restaurants, markups are high, we all know that. Still cheaper than drinking decent wine!

Considering you could brew it yourself for maybe 80 cents a glass I thought it was kind of funny.

Considering you could brew it yourself for maybe 80 cents a glass I thought it was kind of funny.

$16 is a lot for a barleywine in my book, but it's nice to drink beer from breweries instead of homebrew all the time. I buy Old Guardian for $6.99 a bottle, and while I can brew it cheaper it won't be the same thing. That's not to say that homebrew can't be better than commercial, but it's nice to buy good beer.

What did you eat and what did you pay for it?

Ingredient costs for a burger and fries is about $1.00. In my area they charge $10 for that with table service. Crazy, huh?

I've paid more than that for a bomber of beer. Heck on occasion I've paid more than that for a 12 ouncer of beer. I'll probably pick something up on Friday in that range for my birthday beer. It's nice to treat yourself on occasion.

How much is a half bottle of wine? I'd pay $16 for a good barleywine at a nice restaurant. Yea you can brew it for less, but you can't slump your keg into the restaurant. Yea restaurant markup sucks, but its just something you have to live with, or don't eat out.

I've easily paid over $20 for a 750ml of belgian beer, and that's half the ABV of a good barleywine. Can't see how paying $16 for a barleywine is any worse than paying $30 for a bottle of wine, which many people do without blinking an eye.

This makes me laugh. I love how differently beer geeks think than wine connoisseurs. If a wine guy sees $16 for a fine well-crafted wine, they think there must be something wrong with it. If a beer guy sees a $16 bottle of fine well-crafted beer they try to brew it themselves.

BMC has really tainted the perception of value in beer. Beer is cheap, even the expensive stuff, as long as there isn't a dead squirrel involved.

I paid $12 for 11.7 ounces of Iwate Kura Oyster stout. I had a $10 Soft shell crab sandwich and talked to the chef for about an hour about beer pairings. I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Agreed. A great beer is worth the price. Since I've only been brewing for about 3-4 months now I'm still marveling at my ability to brew up beer better than most I used buy and cheaper.

I sampled an IPA at dinner that I honestly felt was nowhere near as good as my Simcoe Double. I actually tried to order 12 oz of "hopslam" for $12, but they were sold out. Really enjoyed the Three Floyd's Alpha King Ale at this place as well as the shrimp, pineapple, bacon and Jalepeno pizza.

Brew on! Might add Barleywine to my batting order now. Any suggested recipes?

$16 (a glass?) seems higher than Giraffe nuts to me ! I bet that place didn't have much of a dollar menu.:D

However a $3-4 Coffee of some sort is almost a daily thing for me :mug:

Okay, thats a ripoff for hopslam. I have bought it bottled at a restaurant for $8ish.

More importantly, don't drink hosplam in August.

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. I can spend $10 on a single bomber at Bevmo easily.

Well, in an Irish pub I go to, you can have a Chimay Bleu bottle of 750 ml for... 22$! Which nobody pays because you can buy it for half the price in the liquor store... Now that think about it, their reserve of Chimay Bleu must be well-aged now...

Oh and 9$ for a Rogue Dead Guy Ale :(.

Needless to say, I prefer to buy local beers when I go there...

$20 bucks for a steak I can grill on my patio, exactly how I like it done (which no restaurant has ever managed to do) for less than half that? The beer doesn't seem so bad. At least the steak wouldn't take me 6 months minimum to make like a good barleywine would. Hell, the way I like my steaks cooked, 6 minutes would be a stretch. :D

Three Floyds Behemoth Barleywine is $16 for a bomber at the liquor store. Awesome beer though.

Hey, that's a cheap hamburger and fries in NYC. A full steak dinner, 40 bucks. 16 bucks for a good aged beer doesn't seem too bad.

For my birthday last week, I had a 10oz bottle of Old Ale aged 16yrs in Scotch Barrels. Ran me $14. They had a 20yr for $20 bucks, and a 1990 English Barleywine for about the same price.

Depends what Barleywine it was really. But honestly I spend $15 a bottle about 2 times a month. The price of beer doesn't really bother me anymore. If I know I'm getting something new and something that gets rave reviews I have no problem spending to try it. My buddy and I are having new beer night tomorrow which we'll likely spend about $60 total on maybe 4 or 5 beers.

Most I've spent on a bottle is $28 for one bomber. That was shipped from Oregon, but still, $21 for the beer an $7 for the shipping. Then split the bottle with my wife. Sure it's not what I'd do for my everyday drinking, but it's nice occasionally.

I had a $5 full pint of barley wine at a brew pub once. Felt like I was ripping them off when I found out how much it cost, but then again it wasn't all that great.

$16 for something like a barely wine seems legit to me, especially if its been aged a few years. The belgian bar I go to around here typically puts me back $8-10 per 330 ml

I recently also purchased Firestone Walker 13th and Parabola for ~$18ea retail.

I defy anyone to make 13 for under $18.
Bear in mind that it's blended from 13 barrel aged beers.

Also, at the homebrew level, Belgian 750ml with cork and cage will easily cost you $2/bottle alone.

I just paid $16 for a measly old stout!

DSCN2859.jpg

And I drove 130 miles to get it.

Earlier this year I purchased a bottle of Angel's Share from Lost Abbey for $20 (normal customers at this location they sell to for $25) for a 12.7 oz.... I'm aging it still - better be worth it!

i've got no problem payin that for a 16 dollar beer, however its a bit dissappointing to spend that money and not get what you paid for.

I recently paid 19 for a morimoto, but mostly b/c i wanted the bottle

Bear in mind that it's blended from 13 barrel aged beers.

It's actually a blend of 7 barrel aged beers (Parabola, Velvet Merkin, Rufus, Saucerful of Secrets, Bravo, Opal, Double Double Barrel Ale)

I got one bottle of 13 for $20 at a Bevmo, and the other for $27 at a local liquor store. $27 was probably a bit too much of a jacked price, but dammit I like that beer and I can't get it anywhere else.

+1 on both 13 and Parabola though, some of the best beers I've had.

I just paid $16 for a measly old stout!

DSCN2859.jpg

And I drove 130 miles to get it.

That was on sale for 6.99 at a liquor store in NJ this summer. Only reason I didn't buy them out was because it was 96 and SWMBO father had no AC. I didn't even want to look at anything that was that strong and tasty.

ever picked up anything from russian river? I don't even think you can get a 375ml bottle for $16...

My local pub sells DFH 120 in bottle for $20 and has DeuS for $47. Of course, they also have Pliny for $6.50 a glass and a lot of other very nice beers. They just added Lucifer and Nostradamus and also have lot of nice events as well.

Back