Krausen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cveez11

Reaction score
I have another noob question. My first ever batch of brew is fermenting nicely. I have a nice thick layer of krausen foam at the top. My question is, when the fermenting is complete, will the foam all fall out and leave no layer, or will there still be a layer of foam? I guess i could just wait and find out, but the waiting is killing me. Anyhow, please let me know what to expect. Thanks in advance.

In most cases it will fall back into the beer and when you crack open the lid you'll have a nice smooth surface with little clumps and bubbles floating on top. But the thick layer that forms during active fermentation will eventually fall back down into the beer, which is good.

Like marubozo said, the thickest bit of the krausen will most likely fall.

Just be patient. It's tough, but it'll work itself out.

thanks for the quick replies. I am totally in to this hobby, but the waiting really sucks. I can't wait to try MY first brew.

Just like sex, you will always remember your first time. Good or bad. :D

The waiting sucks at first, but it gets better once you have a pipeline going. It won't be long and you'll probably be like me and have beers that need to be transfered to kegs or bottles but you're too lazy to do it or just have enough good beers ready to drink that you forget about your fermenter for a month.

The best thing you can do is start getting your next batch ready to go so that when you're ready to bottle this one you'll already have another one fermenting away. Repeat that a few times and in a few months you'll have new beers finishing up every couple of weeks. It's glorious :D

Im ahead of you there. I have two batches going 1 week apart, so pretty soon i will be pretty busy bottling for a while.

Awesome. You're well ahead of the game. The biggest regret most new brewers have is waiting too long to start the next batch. You'll be golden in no time! :mug:

Back