Corny Keg Purchasing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuseBrewer

Reaction score
I recently found someone selling corny kegs on craigslist and id like some input on what to look for and/or stay away from in buying a reconditioned or used corny keg.

Thanks!

Make sure it's clean, doesn't have excessive dents, dings etc... If possible have them verify that it holds pressure.

Take a look at the O rings. There should be five total. One large one on the lid, two smaller ones on the posts, and the other two are under the posts, sitting under the pick up tube and gas in tube. If they are excessively worn, just keep in mind that you will have to replace them.

Make sure the gas tube and dip tube are actually in there.

Check the price. If they are charging anything more than about $35, you are probably better off ordering online from a dealer that gives a positive pressure promise.

And I'd plan on replacing the O-rings even if they look fine; they're cheap and it'll ensure you don't ruin a batch with off flavors from the old rings.

I just received a 4 pack of "Grade B" kegs from kegconnection for only $80. They hold pressure and are almost as good as the ones they want $30 for. The only slight issue is some loose rubber tops/bottoms, which is barely noticeable. I'm already thinking about buying some more. One of them is actually very shiny on the inside, and the dip tube looks brand new. They also come with free sets of O-rings.

Back