The [very cool] doctor who thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stratslinger said:
I don't see your logic... Just because he gets her as a companion earlier in her personal timeline than the point where she becomes a dalek hybrid, doesn't necessarily mean that she doesn't still eventually become that dalek hybrid and help the doctor out of the jam he was in in the asylum. Timey wimey stuff and all that.

Personally, I think we're already off for another sad ending with a companion. Sure, maybe his goodbye with this one might not be sad, but we've already seen her own, individual eventual sad ending.

But wasn't that the case with riversong? She knew him but he didn't know her with there timelines in a opposite direction twist instead of the library episode with the 10th doctor.. I would think there would have been some mention of old friend or of a kind unless the daleks wiped her memory and gave her her false sense of reality and yes, her ending ..

That's a good point - if this were the same person, just further along in her own timeline, she WOULD have recognized the Doctor, wouldn't she? So much for that theory...

SPOILERS!

So what does everyone think of souffle girl as the new companion?

The Actress for the souffle girl is the same as the new companion. Is the Character the same? I don't know. In the episodes where the Daleks bring back davros, and bring the 27 worlds together, there were a bunch of Dr Who companions all get together again (ends with Dr. Donna etc), Eve Mylers who plays Gwen Cooper is recognized by Rose and the Dr. They make reference to her having a great aunt who was in Cardiff Wales during the Chrales Dickens episode of Dr Who (called the unquiet dead - serries 1 of the new).

I've been watching Dr. Who since Ark in Space, although I really didn't see much of Dr. 6 or 7. I just rewatched Ark in Space on Netflix, and 1. It is still a little creepy - giant bugs eating humans for their growing larva... 2. the ark is built in the 30th Century to escape a massive solar flare - see the Serries 5 ep2 (the beast below) with the space whale - so Moffet has some consistancy. It is also the sort of episodes that Davies was watching a kid (and shows in the episodes of Eggelston and Tenant).

I love that show and always have. So for me it was the once and always cool Dr. Who

stratslinger said:
That's a good point - if this were the same person, just further along in her own timeline, she WOULD have recognized the Doctor, wouldn't she? So much for that theory...

On another point if he does change that timeline that would also screw up Rory and Amy staying together.. isn't that when they decided to get back together? Its almost like it would have to be earlier in her timeline and meeting the younger doctor during her demise and not remembering him or losing her memory.. in wich case your theory is sound!!

It has been announced that souffle girl is the new companion. And that she is the same character.
I think what happened or will happen to souffle girl is planned by the doctor. He will have her turned into a dalek so that he can release her on them. The future doctor most likely told the daleks how to contact him in the past as well. In the asylum ep he asked how they know how to contact him. The process of turning into a dalek most likely erases their memory. But she was strong enough to remember her last week or so as a human. Wibbley wobbley timey wimey.

As I was typing my comment above I was thinking that it would be possible for Soufle girl to be the same person - after alll, the Dr. never sees her, and if the change to dalek wiped part of her mind, then she wouldn't remember/recognize her personal history with the Doctor.

I'm trying to remember - did she ever give him her name? She had to, right? I guess the real question is was that her real name, or just whatever her Dalek name was... Could be a real shock when the Doctor "first" meets her - "I once knew someone with that same name..."

BrewingViking said:
It has been announced that souffle girl is the new companion. And that she is the same character.
I think what happened or will happen to souffle girl is planned by the doctor. He will have her turned into a dalek so that he can release her on them. The future doctor most likely told the daleks how to contact him in the past as well. In the asylum ep he asked how they know how to contact him. The process of turning into a dalek most likely erases their memory. But she was strong enough to remember her last week or so as a human. Wibbley wobbley timey wimey.

I have a hard time imagining the doctor planning on having her turned into a dalek purposely for his benefit.. it would have to do with saving her life, or it was her choice unless it's the daleks that get her and do it and the doctor plants a seed in her subconsciousness to release her wrath.. I wonder what she will bring out in the doctor? hate & revenge?

stratslinger said:
I'm trying to remember - did she ever give him her name? She had to, right? I guess the real question is was that her real name, or just whatever her Dalek name was... Could be a real shock when the Doctor "first" meets her - "I once knew someone with that same name..."
I believe she did give her name at the end..

She did give him her name. She says something like why do you keep calling me souffle girl, I do have a name its oswin. But I think it's going to be one of those fixed points. The doctor doesn't want to but has to so that the ponds can be together and so he can erase himself from the dalek database

Well the master broke the time lock the doctor created on the time war. So maybe they can. That would mean that either jenny or river could change what the doctor does. Interesting...

I like Matt Smith and I have heard rumors of Hugh Laurie playing the part. I think that would be awesome.

So what does everyone think of the christmas special?

I like it! O.O. is hot!
tumblr_mej8opv57b1rqmroto6_1280.png

Oh and...

http://whohassonic.tumblr.com/post/31021227150/doctor-who-sexiest-companion-fight

Well the master broke the time lock the doctor created on the time war. So maybe they can. That would mean that either jenny or river could change what the doctor does. Interesting...

Old comment, but I don't think the master broke the time lock. The high council of Galafray broke the time lock using the master. Unless they tried something else along a similar vein, the time lock is intact.

I haven't been able to see any of the new ones. The space channel that I get stopped airing them at the angels in new york :(. I will have to wait until it hits netflix later 2013.

This might become a long and boring post:

New era:
I'm loving it!! Souffle girl is definitely the purdiest so far, it reminds me of growing up, kids back then always had a little boy woody for the companions, even the goofy ones! It was a part of growing up!
If O.O.'s name is not an anagram or something similar I will eat my own anus. "Sloan's Widow" All they need is a character called Sloan! ;)

I thought David Tennant was the best Doc yet, but Matty is doing a great job also.

Old era:

I grew up with Dr Who from day one (I assume) I was only 6 at the time, but I can can definitely remember the first episodes of season 2 because they had giant ants in them, and any kid will remember getting freaked out by giant ants. Anyways, I think it is reasonable to suppose that I would have seen the first series too, as there were only two TV channels at the time, and only the BBC was showing anything watchable.

My favourite was Tom Baker, of course. I stopped watching when Peter Davidson started. I thought it was because I didn't like his cricket gear, because I hate cricket and anything related to it, but I suppose I was just really really too old for it. It was still supposed to be a kid's show after all.

Now, this is where I get seriously geeky:

Douglas Adams:
Anyone who likes Douglas Adams books, and does not already know this, should keep reading. :)
Adams's book "Dirk Dently's Holistic Detective Agency" was based on two Dr. Who stories of the Tom Baker era (Adams introduced Richard Dawkins to the companion Lalla Ward, who Dawkins married)
The City of Death can be found on Netflix
Shada was an unfinished and un-aired story that can be bought on Amazon or found in pieces on Youtube. The unfinished parts are filled in by Tom Baker telling you the missing parts, or by a truly terrible amateur cartoon with REALLY bad script reading by some fans.
Anyway, I have watched my way through all this, simply because Dr Who/Douglas Adams is a perfect storm of fan nerdydom for me, so how could I not!

Adams co-wrote on City of Death, but was entirely responsible for Shada. Shada is worth watching if only for some great comedy writing, especially for the character of Prof. Chronotis. Some of which turns up in Dirk Gently, I think.

Anyway! Best line ever (Including the modern Timey wimey concept of the modern era). Spoken to a character named Parsons who does not believe it is possible to travel faster than the speed of light:

The Doctor: What? Do you understand Einstein?
Parsons: Yes.
The Doctor: What? And quantum theory?
The Doctor: What? And Planck?
The Doctor: What? And Newton?
The Doctor: What? And Schoenberg?
Parsons: Of course.

The Doctor: You've got a lot to unlearn.

I'll crawl back in my nerdy-hole now. :eek:

Amy still the hottest for now, but Souffle Girl is coming on strong! I love her attitude with the Doctor. She makes him a bit flustered if you ask me.

I'm still betting Amy and Rory come back in a future episode or two. They just CAN'T end them that way!

i just watched The End of Time for the first time. I never watched much of the Tennant era but it was pretty good. I'll have to watch more of the (relatively) older stuff.

So far loving souffle girl. I think this is going to be another great season. Who she is has got me going crazy. I want the show to start now. Been hearing some things around the web that she could be romana 3. Have to say i haven't seen her era yet, still working on the first doctor, but did wiki her and it sounds reasonable. Also hopeing that they do another multi doctor for the 50th anniversary.

I loved what they have done with Oswin so far. She is still a mystery girl (No spoilers for those who have not caught up yet) but very smart and obviously beautiful.

Wasn't sure how they were going to go from Asylum of the Daleks to her introduction in the Christmas Special, but it REALLY makes me hungry for answers.

I'm not familiar with Romana 3. I'm almost afraid to look it up and see what might be.

Probably should have said that romana was a companion to the doctor. She was the second timelord companion, first being his grand daughter. Apparently, seeing i haven't watched it, she stayed in another dimension. They never said if she returned for the time war. But she regenerated in the show once. Some say souffle girl could be the third regen. Also she could be in human form and thats why she doesn't remember in the christmas special.
Also another theory is from the same era as romana. And that's that souffle girl is a piece of the key to time.

I had some spare time, so I did some Googling.

Someone on another forum came up with this:

Clara means bright; highly intelligent, illustrous, wisdom, God-fearing, extraordinary beauty

Oswin as a boy's name is of Old English origin, and it's meaning is "God's friend".

Oswald
as a boy's name is pronounced OZ-wald. It is of Old German origin, and it's meaning is "God's power".

As you can see, each name has a meaning related to God:

Clara: Fear
Oswin: Friend
Oswald: Power

Well just seeing her makes me say, "God she is hot!"

Now to go back and watch some classic episodes from the 70's so I can find out more about this Romana. Well, after work anyway. Well, I have to redo the bathroom closet first. Ok, maybe after this season I'll get time. God I wish I had a TARDIS!

Yeah, Soufle girl's pretty hot, and seems pretty compelling so far, but she has one major flaw over Pond: she's not a red head. Aside from that though, there were enough hints dropped in the Christmas special (trying to avoid spoilers here) to at least tell us that many of us were asking some of the right questions after she showed up in the season premiere. But there were also new questions thrown at us at the same time, in pretty classic Who fashion. Can't wait to see how that all turns out.

Yeah, Soufle girl's pretty hot, and seems pretty compelling so far, but she has one major flaw over Pond: she's not a red head. Aside from that though, there were enough hints dropped in the Christmas special (trying to avoid spoilers here) to at least tell us that many of us were asking some of the right questions after she showed up in the season premiere. But there were also new questions thrown at us at the same time, in pretty classic Who fashion. Can't wait to see how that all turns out.

I think thing I can deal with the brown hair:

936full-jenna--louise-coleman.jpg

And I think she may actually be a Pond....

What if she is a progeny of The Doctor's Granddaughter??

The possibilities are limitless.

Of course that would make the very passionate kiss she gave Doctor Smith a bit awkward...

(No spoilers for those who have not caught up yet) but very smart and obviously beautiful.

Thanks for that. The wife and I have recorded the entire current season, but have been holding off on starting it. We tend to get hooked and end up unintentionally doing a marathon through whole seasons.

Oh my! That picture makes my monitor all messy.

I've just been trawling through some of the old classic stuff on Netflix. It's funny, if you watch them long enough back to back, the cheap cheesiness just seems to drop away a little! :D

I remember watching Doctor who on PBS as a kid in the very early 80's at my Grandma's on PBS. I was THRILLED to see it come back.

Billie Piper? I don't know why, But I thought she was easy on the eyes.

With that said, I was thinking I need to brew up something related to.

Dalek IPA? It would have to be a west coast style IPA. Punch you in the face, make no apologies recipe.

I remember watching Doctor who on PBS as a kid in the very early 80's at my Grandma's on PBS. I was THRILLED to see it come back.

Billie Piper? I don't know why, But I thought she was easy on the eyes.

With that said, I was thinking I need to brew up something related to.

Dalek IPA? It would have to be a west coast style IPA. Punch you in the face, make no apologies recipe.

Better make it Imperial.

(pun intended)

Bumping this as someone who's been watching the new Doctor series all in order and at once. I'm not 100% caught up on the latest season so I'm plugging my ears and humming loudly to avoid spoilers but some opinions I have on favorites.

Favorite Doctor = Eccleston aka 9th Doctor. Don't know what it was about him that made him so awesome but he was awesome. I like Smith more than Tennant as well.

Favorite companion - Rose. Love her, she had the best connection to the doctor and was arguably the most enjoyable. But Amy and Rory are a close second. Not a big fan of Martha.

Favorite Villain - Weeping Angels. So freaky.

Haha there may be some truth to that. My SWMBO likes Tennant though so I guess she bucks that fact. I think I enjoyed the more serious tones that Eccleston brought. Worked well with Rose and Captain Jack who were the opposite of serious, JMO. Though I'll admit Smith is growing on me. I think my problem with Tennant though was that he was all over the place. Some people may call it range, I call it poor character building, and I'm sure he had a say in it.

Back