To shake or not to shake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shake???

• Why not?

• Dont do it!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pommy

Reaction score
I am generally a terribly impatient brewer :D I can be patient however (if I have to be...) My bottles of brew have been sitting quietly for a week or so and then I rudely interrupted them from going about their carbonation process by opening ultimately drinking one. I knew it wouldn't be much good but I was thirsty... I noticed though that sugar was stuck to the bottom of the bottle, obviously the beginning of sediment. This got me to thinking though, would I be wise to shake the bottles up and let them sit to ensure all sugar is dissolved and ultimately converted to co2 and the small amount of alcohol it allows OR should I leave them alone and allow the yeast to "eat" its way through the remaining sugar. Basically is it a reason to worry about the reasonable amount that is stuck to the bottom of the bottles. (I did add a good/generous amount :drunk:)

It is also worth informing you that I was using the amateur method of adding two teaspoons of sugar to the 700mL bottles I am using.

Where did you get that measurement? It sounds to me like way too much sugar and that you are running the risk of having exploding bottles.

advice from highly experienced amateurs ;) It is too much imo but im just starting out and unfortunately I only realised that since bottling. Ive not had any problems so far with exploding bottles but I now live in fear

I've never added sugar directly to individual bottles (I've always made a priming solution and mixed into the beer before bottlng.). But 2 teaspoons for 750 ml sounds dangerous to me.

Definitely do not shake!

I presume you used dextrose. IIRC, way back when I use to bottle, that's about twice the amount of sugar I used per bottle. I don't think you'll have bottle bombs, but you probably will have at least some gushers. I never shook my beer. I let them sit a month and they were fine. I would highly recommend a bottling bucket. You can get one from any food service place, bakeries are really good. Since you're not storing beer in there, they'll be fine. Then, use 3/4 cup of dextrose and you'll be good. Luck - Dwain

Yep, your sugar is on the high side. Probably about 1 tsp/700ml would be more correct. I would imagine the 700ml bottles you used are probably on the thick side which would be a good thing. You may want to put the bottles somewhere where they can't do any harm just in case a couple of them do let go. Maybe put them in a cooler with the lid closed or something like that. Better safe then sorry.

I would agree with most everyone saying you may have overcarbed. The yeast will find the sugar where ever it is sometimes it just taked longer. As for the silt sitting on the bottom of your bottles that is probably not sugar but dormant yeast.

Back