American Pale Ale aPALEachianALE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
-
Final Gravity
-
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
-
Color
Deep Gold
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 70 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 70 degrees
Additional Fermentation
3rd Carboy 7 days @ 70 degrees
Tasting Notes
Medium citrus-hop aroma, slight bitterness with citrus comeing through, clean finish
APA By Shane Phillips – 5 Gallons, 60 min. Boil, Steep grains @ 148-155⁰ for 45min.

MALTS
½ lbs. Cara Pills (5.9%)
½ pilsner malt (5.9%)
½ lbs. Honey Malt (5.9%)
1 lb. flacked Wheat (11.8%)
6 lbs. Extra Light Dry Malt Extract (70.6%)

HOPS
1 oz. Cascade (60 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (20 min.)
1 oz. Citra (5 min.)
½ oz. Citra (secondary)

ADJUNCTS
½ oz. Diced Fresh Ginger Root (add 3 days into secondary)

YEAST
Safale U.S. 05 (S-05)

The ginger addition added a balanced bitterness, but it really made the beer shine on the finish. VERY thirst quenching.

FYI - with the pilsner malt and wheat malt, this is a partial mash. Those grains need conversion or else you're just adding starches to the beer. If you steeped at the temperature range given, you likely converted the starches in the grains into sugars. From a process perspective, steeping and mashing can be very similar, but with mashing, there's enzyme activity taking place.

Sounds like a nice, refreshing beer :mug:

Thanks for the terminology lesson. This was my 3rd homebrew, so I'm just experimenting and researching everything I do...and a lot of the terms are still foreign to me. Thanks for the encouragement!

Thanks! I found a similar site and posted it in the beginning brewing section of HBT, but this was a little more organized and informative. Lots of good info.

Back