APA Recipe Attempt (Alaskan Freeride Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencermckay

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've brewed a few all-grain batches from recipes that I've found and they've turned out well so far. I'm looking to brew a batch that comes close to the Alaskan Freeride APA that I tried a few weeks ago as it's not available here in Vancouver (BC).

Brewersfriend says that this recipe should make a beer with an OG of 1.054, 5.25% abv, 40IBU, and SRM of 14.08. I was aiming for (from Alaskan's website) OG:1.047, 5.3%abv, 40IBU, and 14SRM.

It's my first time trying to come up with a recipe so if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them. Thanks!

7lbs 2-row
3.25lbs Crystal 20L
.75lbs Crystal 90L

1oz Cascade (FWH)
1 oz Cascade (15 min)
0.5oz Centennial (10min)
0.5oz Centennial (5 min)
1oz Centennial (1min)
1oz Citra (Dry Hop)

Safale US-O5 (?)

hellow

For my is better to change the 1 oz bitterness hop to centenial and use the 1oz of cascade for the last minute i like the cascade aroma and flavor

i dont know if the crystal malt is to much if the crystal taste is big the beer will be not ok, the most part of the ipas have a bit of caramel taste i think.

the us 05 is ok it have a fruit side but the floculation is very poor is good to do one cold secundari for have a clear beer

Thanks for the advice. I took another stab at it, does this look a bit better?

10.5lbs 2-Row
.75lbs Crystal 75L
.5lbs Special B

1oz Centennial (FWH)
.5oz Cascade (15 min)
.5oz Centennial (10min)
.5oz Cascade (5 min)
.5oz Centennial (1 min)
1oz Citra (1 min)
1 oz Citra (Dry Hop)

Or is this too much citra? Should I dry-hop with it only and just add more cascade and centennial right at the end of the boil? Would Wyeast 1272 maybe be a better choice?

citra is a very aromatic and flavored hop it makes the beer with a citrus and tropical fruits flavor and aroma if you like that ,go on.
But if you aren't sure take the cascade for the last minute and the citra for dry-hoping ( for dry hoping the amount of hop is the 1 to 1,5 pour litre perhaps you cant put more citra than 1 oz at the dry hoping) he risk on the extremes flavors is minor.

the yeast is good for my opinion

get luky

Im working a clone myself. We should both brew our versions, collaborate and come to a close conclusion. I just have a bunch of ingredients on brewtoad and a few notes. I was going to add some munich malt. Ive noticed Widmers Alchemy ale is similar (not in regards to hops) and it has some munich.

I actually just happened to brew a IPA with cascade and citra. I didnt use centennial and the aroma is spot on. Possibly keep the centennial for bittering? Although the website says notes of floral- that may be coming from the cascade used as an aroma. Try adding flameout hops when wort has cooled to 160 or so, you will get better aroma as isomerization occurs at 180F+. I may end up adding more to dry hop than you, as this beer seems high in aroma.

Whered you get 14srm and 40ibu from? I didnt see it on the website but I came up with 40 as well. I was thinking of 1332 (Northwest ale) or 1272 for the yeast. I think ill try mashing in the low range (150F) for a more crisp beer.

When do you plan on brewing this? Im going camping till Sunday but i look forward to see what you come up with. Ill check back! Take care!

I got the OG, IBU, and SRM info from the right hand side of this page: http://www.alaskanbeer.com/our-brew/year-round-beers/freeride-apa.html .

Thanks for the tips though, I think you're right about the aroma so I've made a lot of the hop additions later/ rejigged them. I'm planning to try something kind of like this:

10lbs 2-row
.75 lbs Crystal 75L
.5lbs Special B

1oz Centennial (FWH)
.5oz Centennial (10min)
.5oz Cascade (10 min)
.5oz Cascade (5 min)
.5oz Citra (5 min)
.5oz Cascade (1 min)
.5oz Centennial (flameout)
.5oz Citra (flameout)
1 oz Citra (Dry Hop)
1 oz Cascade (Dry Hop)

I got the OG, IBU, and SRM info from the right hand side of this page: http://www.alaskanbeer.com/our-brew/year-round-beers/freeride-apa.html .

Thanks for the tips though, I think you're right about the aroma so I've made a lot of the hop additions later/ rejigged them. I'm planning to try something kind of like this:

10lbs 2-row
.75 lbs Crystal 75L
.5lbs Special B

1oz Centennial (FWH)
.5oz Centennial (10min)
.5oz Cascade (10 min)
.5oz Cascade (5 min)
.5oz Citra (5 min)
.5oz Cascade (1 min)
.5oz Centennial (flameout)
.5oz Citra (flameout)
1 oz Citra (Dry Hop)
1 oz Cascade (Dry Hop)
Hey man just checkin back on ya. I kegged my widmer hefe clone today. Tastes good so far but cant wait for a double blind test, when its nice and carbonated. Your recipe looks like it coming along nicely. When you plan on brewing?

Im going to brew a dunkleweizen (to take use of this fresh wheat yeast I have) then I will be brewing the freeride clone. Take care man

I brewed this on Monday and it's happily fermenting away right now. It smells awesome so far so I'll let you know how it turns out.

I brewed this on Monday and it's happily fermenting away right now. It smells awesome so far so I'll let you know how it turns out.

awesome! im waiting for the rest of the hops to ripen then ill be brewing my version.

Yours looks good! Let me know how it turns out. I think the 14 SRM on the Alaskan website is off. Mine is definitely too dark. It's a drinkable beer, but it I tried to clone the freeride again I'd drop the special b and some of the crystal in my recipe and probably use a bit less for dry-hopping (and maybe less citra overall).

That being said, I'll probably brew it again without trying to clone the freeride and just adjust the grain bill.

I'm going to clone this myself soon. Well, not "clone" exactly, because I don't like citra hops and I don't have any. But I get a definite "cat pee" aroma from it, so I think simcoe or chinook (I have both) will go in the flavor addition, or in the dryhop (or both).

The color looks like 6 SRM or so to me- much lighter than mentioned earlier in the posts. It's nowhere near a 14 SRM in my glass right now.

It looks like a pound of 40L would be all the crystal needed. I think a base of US 2 row, along with some crystal 40L would be the only base malt needed, but a pound of Munich wouldn't hurt.

I'm going to use columbus or chinook for bittering, and use centennial, simcoe and cascades for flavor and aroma hops.

I'm going to clone this myself soon. Well, not "clone" exactly, because I don't like citra hops and I don't have any. But I get a definite "cat pee" aroma from it, so I think simcoe or chinook (I have both) will go in the flavor addition, or in the dryhop (or both).

The color looks like 6 SRM or so to me- much lighter than mentioned earlier in the posts. It's nowhere near a 14 SRM in my glass right now.

It looks like a pound of 40L would be all the crystal needed. I think a base of US 2 row, along with some crystal 40L would be the only base malt needed, but a pound of Munich wouldn't hurt.

I'm going to use columbus or chinook for bittering, and use centennial, simcoe and cascades for flavor and aroma hops.

Yooper, did you ever give this a shot?

Being born and raised in AK I've always been partial to Alaskans beers.
This one definitely hits the spot. I am returning from about a year of not brewing, I'd like to take a shot at this one.

any words of advise on this?
Ive got a good Idea of how Id like to hop this beer, but not quite sure on the grain bill

My thoughts are

10Lb 2-row
1Lb Munich
.5 Lb C-20

Mash high..like 156

If anyone has come up with a good clone I'm dieing to know. this is a yummy beer!

Back