Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dark chocolate and rich coffee notes. Smooth aftertaste left me licking my teeth. I brewed exactly as posted. SWMBO loves this and it will be a regular in the pipeline. THANK YOU YOOPER!!

image-3730478623.jpg

Brewed 10 gallons last Sunday. We came in just short of the targeted OG at 1.048. I also added 2 oz cocoa powder and 2 oz ground coffee to one of the carboys to make it more of a breakfast stout. Both versions smelled amazing and I can't wait to try this!

Hey Yooper! I picked up the ingredients for this yesterday, its going to be my second batch ever! First one is a hefe that only been in the fermenter for a week. I hope to do homage to what everyone else says is an outstanding recipe!

Sampled mine the other day, almost perfectly carbed, holy moly!! My only (1st world) problem is that I like my pale ales a bit colder than I like my stouts, so have my kegs at the aforementioned preferred temp, and have to let it sit out a bit, or maybe I should find some compromise temperature..

Sampled today after a week in primary, Yooper you are a genius! Still planning on another 2 in primary but this is awesome!

Besides these, I have three other batches on hand...but everyone raves about this oatmeal stout. I may have to make it my next batch. I did the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Clone and wait for the bottles to age. Hmmm...and my pics loading upside down is driving me nuts.

ForumRunner_20130331_224528.jpg

Man that kills my eyes to look at and my brain keeps trying to turn that stuff over so it won't spill!!! I hope you don't mind but i had to fix and repost your pic dave.
:mug:

5.jpg

I brews this up 10 days ago. O.G. Was 1.059 checked today it's at 1.022. Seems a little high. Does oats or barley leave alot of unfermentables? I used S-04 and usually get 75% attenuation. It's only 62% now.

I brews this up 10 days ago. O.G. Was 1.059 checked today it's at 1.022. Seems a little high. Does oats or barley leave alot of unfermentables? I used S-04 and usually get 75% attenuation. It's only 62% now.

Oats don't leave a lot of unfermentables but darker crystal malts often do. I often get 1.018-1.020 with this recipe and a higher mash temperature.

homebrewhaha said:
Mine finished at 1.022 with S-04 and it was a little sweet for me, but I got good feedback on it.

I was just about to post back up and seen your post. i cant get it down any lower. warmed it to low 70's. roused the yeast and its still at 1.023. So I guess that's as low as its going. It taste good I was just worried of bottle bombs happening. But yours isn't to far from mine.

Yeah, if I remember correctly I think my mash ended up being even higher than expected, or just getting a little out of control by a degree or two, so lots of unfermentables. It wasn't sickeningly sweet and was a little roastier than intended in OG Yoop's recipe, so that helped balance out the sweetness too.

Just finished a keg of this yesterday. Fantastic recipe. One of the best stouts I have ever had. Thanks Yooper. It's just what I was looking for.

I mashed at 158 and used WLP 002 English Ale yeast and finished at 1.023. OG was 1.051. Uncarbed sample tasted great. A "session" oatmeal stout!

I'm not a big fan of stouts, but being in ireland and all I thought that i should try to brew one. I chose that recipes and boy what a revelation. I love it . I even put some in whisky bottles. Had one yesterday and it was even better.
Highly recommended!

Okay, thanks. Is this one of those brews that you let it age for a month or 2 that it gets better? I know your keg is probably dry in a short time...but you have more experience than I do.

Okay, thanks. Is this one of those brews that you let it age for a month or 2 that it gets better? I know your keg is probably dry in a short time...but you have more experience than I do.

Yes, this is one of the lower ABV beers I do that needs a bit of time in the keg (or bottle, I assume!) for the flavors to come together well. It's not bad when it's young, but it's much smoother and less "rough" if it has a bit of age.

Yes, this is one of the lower ABV beers I do that needs a bit of time in the keg (or bottle, I assume!) for the flavors to come together well. It's not bad when it's young, but it's much smoother and less "rough" if it has a bit of age.

yes indeed, I bottle it about 2 1/2 ago and didn't drink one for about a month. What a difference that month made. I'm saving some for a beer competiton later this year. It should be even better. Any idea on long is too long for this beer in the bottle before you drink it?

yes indeed, I bottle it about 2 1/2 ago and didn't drink one for about a month. What a difference that month made. I'm saving some for a beer competiton later this year. It should be even better. Any idea on long is too long for this beer in the bottle before you drink it?

Good question. I've only got one bottle left and it has been in bottle for 7 months now.

Hi Yooper, I am going to bre this beauty but my LHBS doesn't have black barley. They carry black patent malt 550, and roasted barley 595. Will one of those work instead. Also, do you use rice hull in the mash? I batch sparge.
Thanks, T

Hi Yooper, I am going to bre this beauty but my LHBS doesn't have black barley. They carry black patent malt 550, and roasted barley 595. Will one of those work instead. Also, do you use rice hull in the mash? I batch sparge.
Thanks, T

In some cases, the black patent malt and the black malt are very similar, but the malts I've seen listed as black patent are very harsh, ashy and acrid. The Briess black malt I use is more like the "coffee malt" that I believe comes from Belgium. See if you can get that "coffee malt" instead if possible. If not, you could try either one of those but it will be a bit harsher.

I use rice hulls in most of my mashes with my current MLT system (bottom draining) but I didn't when I used a cooler MLT set up. Oats are sticky, but not that bad. You may need them, though, and it won't hurt to use them.

I know this was probably answered somewhere in the 31 pages of this thread, but is it really necessary to toast the oats? Does it impart a lot of flavor?

Again, sorry if it's been answered a hundred times.

I know this was probably answered somewhere in the 31 pages of this thread, but is it really necessary to toast the oats? Does it impart a lot of flavor?

Again, sorry if it's been answered a hundred times.

Sorry i don't know what your talking about? I don't see anything about toasting the oats anywhere. Double check the first page. :mug:

Thanks for posting this recipe Yoop. I have read and studied this thread exhaustively. I have made a few minor adjustments to the recipe to suit my own tastes or for what was available locally. I plan on brewing this weekend

5.3 oz Rice Hulls (Briess) (0.0 SRM)
7 lbs 3.2 oz 2-row (Rahr) (1.8 SRM)
1 lbs 4.0 oz Quacker Quick Oats
1 lbs Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)
12.0 oz Toasted Light Amber(home) (30.0 SRM)
10.0 oz Pale Chocolate (180.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
6.0 oz Black Prinz (500.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Black Barley (Briess) (500.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM)
1.5 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min ... 24.8 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [4.2 oz]
Mash at 155* for 60 minutes
Boil for 70 minutes

I added carapils as people stated the head retention was low.

The used "toasted light malt" in place of the flaked barley. It is in hopes of adding a slightly nutty flavor to the brew. I did myself at home...just 2 row in the oven at 350* for 30 minutes. Then cooled in paper bag for 3 weeks. It smelled like roasted peanuts!

I also tuned down the amount of black barley and added some blackprinz to make up for the color loss. That was in hopes of tuning down the coffee flavor just a wee bit.

I used Special B in place of the caramel malt to get a more pronounced caramel flavor. Also in hopes to get a slight raisin/prune flavor.

London ale will be used in hopes of getting some prune/plum flavors into the mix.

I added carapils as people stated the head retention was low.

The head retention/foam stability is awesome in mine. The key is the flaked barley, as it provides that finish and foam stability. I started adding flaked barley to many of my darker beers for just that reason- but it does cause a haze and I don't use it in lighter colored beers.

We'll have to see how it is Yoop, I figure it will be ready to drink come Halloween. Brew went pretty smooth, with the exception of breaking yet another hydrometer.:(

Since I'm at work and they frown upon me reading HBT for hours on end...even though I could...I digress.

Yoop, have you or anyone else who's done this racked to a secondary with some vanilla beans soaked in bourbon?

Since I'm at work and they frown upon me reading HBT for hours on end...even though I could...I digress.

Yoop, have you or anyone else who's done this racked to a secondary with some vanilla beans soaked in bourbon?

No, I'm not a "vanilla" beer fan so I never even considered that. It might be really good, though!

I brew a vanilla bourbon stout and used this recipe for the base beer on my last batch. The flavor is great but I need to figure out my head retention issues.

For the vanilla bourbon I soaked 2 oz of oak chips in 3 shots of Makers Mark and a tbsp of Mexican vanilla extract for a couple days then threw it in a hop sock and dropped it in the fermenter.

I brewed this as a 10 gallon recipe a week or so ago, and ended up with 9 gallons (still learning my system). I was planning on bottling the 5 gallon bucket and kegging the 4 gallon bucket and adding coffee to it. I've never added coffee to anything before, so I was wondering how much would be a good amount. One gallon (which would bring me up to five total in the keg) seemed like way too much. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I brewed this as a 10 gallon recipe a week or so ago, and ended up with 9 gallons (still learning my system). I was planning on bottling the 5 gallon bucket and kegging the 4 gallon bucket and adding coffee to it. I've never added coffee to anything before, so I was wondering how much would be a good amount. One gallon (which would bring me up to five total in the keg) seemed like way too much. Any thoughts? Thanks.

First of all, I wouldn't add a gallon of coffee water. I just made a coffee porter and only added maybe a 1/2 a quart. I added it right to the bottling bucket. I used 3 oz of coffee for 5.5 gallons. http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2011/08/how-to-make-cold-brew-coffee/

Back