My brewing station. A few question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stay_Trill

Reaction score
Ok so last week I made a 15 gallon keg into a keggle.

And today I picked up another 15 gallon keg and two 13 gallon kegs.
I bougth two 10 gallon coolers to turn into a HLT and a MT a few days ago.
Should I take them back? And just use the 13 gal or 15 gal?

What should I do to make the most beer?

That all depends on how you want to heat everything. Are you going burners or electric? If you're going burners, I'm guessing the cooler won't make a very good HLT!

The kegs would make a larger mash/lauter tun than the cooler. A little more work to convert the keg versus the cooler, but it's really up to you. The coolers might do a little bit better job and maintaining heat, but that probably depends on how you insulate your HLT and MLT. Either way you can't go wrong. If it were me, I'd probably sell the coolers and use the money to convert the HLT/MLT.

I would use one 10 gallon cooler for a MLT, (it's already insulated) a 15 gallon keggle for a HLT and use the other 15 gallon keg for a boil pot. Send the rest of that stuff to me..prepaid...I'll figure out what to do with it :^)

It really depends what are you trying to accomplish, simple infusion mash or some kind of recirculation system.
If you don't have AG experience I would probably start with simple infusion and convert cooler to MLT, kegs to HLT and BK.. after some time sell converted cooler and make MLT from another keg, insert HEX to HLT and make HERMS..
but I am an inveterate DIYer so maybe you should listen to someone else's advice :)

Hang on to all of the kegs regardless. They provide you with much more flexibility down the road.

If you're using propane/NG, I'd use a keg as HLT. Use the smaller one and save larger one for MLT down the road. Shouldn't need more than 13G of strike or sparge water in a 10g batch anyways.

Kegs can be used at any stage of the homebrew process, really from storing grain to serving beer, they are just that good. Do be advised for a simple MLT brewing smaller 5 gal batches, a cooler is easier than a keggle due to heat losses....just sayin.

Back