Concerned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl4536

Reaction score
So yesterday I made a milk chocolate stout kit from AHS. placed my beer in a 6 gallon bucket, put the airlock on and placed in a nice cool dry spot. checked on it this morning and the lid has been dislodged by the force of fermentation and the mess is quite large. So aside from the clean up process, do I need to be worried about what has happened to the beer (if anything)? FYI I resealed the lid already to prevent too much exposure. AND Im already looking into a blow off kit now :D.

No need to be worried. It sounds like you have a very healthy fermentation. The krausen (foam exploding from the beer) will actually protect your beer.

You've done all you can, and I'm sure your beer will be fine.

I'm drinking a beer right now that did the same thing (just got off the night shift) and it tastes quite nice. Yours will, too.

OF COURSE I DID!!! Enjoy the carnage.....

Small pic beer carnage.jpg

Fermtech is your friend. I repeat.... fermtech is your friend. Never had a blowout, or even close to a blowout with that stuff.

3 words. Blow off Tube.

Your beer will be great. I just made a milk chocolate stout for my wife (still fermenting) and didn't have a problem, but I kept the temps low. Also I used gas drops during the boil because my keggle is currently out of commission and I had to use my turkey fryer right to the rim. I think it maybe helped enough in the fermenter to keep the krausen from getting too big.

My first blow off happened in the closet I kept all my dress clothes in. That was a mistake that cost me about 150 bucks in dry cleaning. Now I use a blow off tube on every batch and it works quite well. At least you got pictures!! :fro:

This has happened to just about all of us at one point. Consider it a right of passage! It's usually something that happens only once because after cleaning up the mess you install a blowoff tube and never look back. It's such a simple setup, I use my blowoff setup for every batch.

As for your beer, as others have said - it'll be just fine. You'll even have a good story to tell when you share it with your friends.

The rest of us would all be tickeled. Thats a sign of a great fermentation!!! Gonna be a good one. SW

Nice. I narrowly missed a major mess (and instead just had a minor one) when I had a high gravity beer in a 6 gallon carboy with 2 gallons of headspace and opened the fermentor to find out it wasn't enough headspace. I ended up changing to a blowoff tube, and then I had to change to a bigger jar for the blowoff contents. I also had to use fermcap in my blowoff jar because it was krausening like crazy from the beer/yeast blowoff itself!
photobucket-1562-1344287468730.jpg

photobucket-2084-1344287548100.jpg

Latest posts

Back