MDF Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaviking

Reaction score
So I am planning on building my own fermentation chamber out of MDF. Wanted to check with you experienced DIY'ers first though for the pro's and cons.

I am planning on sealing the MDF with some sort of sealant.. I was thinking roof sealant or Thompsons water seal, but now I am thinking the fumes, might interfear with the fermentation.

Would just plane old VOD free paint work?

I'd go to HomeDepot or Lowes and buy a sheet of plain white Formica and contact cement for it. With that, line the interior of your chamber.

The other alternative is to get a can of high gloss white latex paint.

I suggest going with a Fiberglass Reinforced Wall Panel. They are about $30 from Home Depot or Lowes and come in 4'x8' sheets. It's the same stuff used in restaurants on the walls. I used it on the door of my fermentation chamber to replace the inside door panel since the door shelves interfered with the Fermentor.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...gId=-1&keyword=Fiberglass+panel&storeId=10051

A little bit of liquid nails will hold it in place. It cuts just fine with a circular saw or table saw.

I would never use MDF anywhere near moisture, even if it's sealed. MDF crumbles and warps with even the slightest bit of moisture. Why not just use plywood? The cost difference isn't that big and you wouldn't have to worry about it crumbling.

I had some available to me..

i think I will probably pass though... And just use ply wood. Thanks everyone!!

I lined the inside of my chamber with masonite (outside shell/ foam board/masonite). I painted it white and them bought some two part epoxy finish and coated the bottom and a couple inches up the side. It is water tight.

Back