Bacon Makes Everything Better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Not sure how a bacon beer would be, but I'd venture to guess it would be awesome. Can't say I've ever had anything that wasn't better with bacon.

Anyway, I just saw this...looks so good:

Vosges.jpg

ghggghghghhghghhhh...

Bacon Beer? Talk about hurting head retention - all that fat! I can't say that sounds good. Bacon and chocolate maybe.

landhoney said:
Bacon Beer? Talk about hurting head retention - all that fat! I can't say that sounds good. Bacon and chocolate maybe.

head retention is a small price to pay for the taste of bacon. :ban:

I'm a big bacon fan and in the camp of adding bacon to everything to make it better. In fact this post just reminded me that my wife bought me one of those bacon bars last time she was in vegas (theres one of those vosges shops at ceasers). I'll have to dig it out and try it.

Maybe instead of adding bacon directly to a beer, using the chocolate to make a bacon chocolate stout.

mmmmmmmm, bacon.

That's it Evan, I fully expect you to be brewing a bacon beer soon. :rockin:

I haven't had meat in a few years, but one of the last things I had that had meat in it was Skullsplitter Ale.

Anyone else try this?

It's brewed with pepper sausage.

Crazytwoknobs said:
I haven't had meat in a few years, but one of the last things I had that had meat in it was Skullsplitter Ale.

Anyone else try this?

It's brewed with pepper sausage.

Who told you that? I think they were pulling your leg.

You are missing the obvious here. Bacon goes great with honey (just think pancakes and bacon)....Mead is made from honey and has no head to retain.....

I've had choclate chip, bacon cookies. Very good.
Got my FIL enrolled in the Bacon of the Month club.

I swear. I'm not trying to kill him.

Really!

yeah, lemme just go out back and slaughter one of my stock, then cut it up and take it to the smokehouse for awhile.

Uhhh...??? You make your own? You know, I love bacon...it's the whole "raising and slaughtering swine" that I'm not so keen on.

Evan! said:
yeah, lemme just go out back and slaughter one of my stock, then cut it up and take it to the smokehouse for awhile.

Uhhh...??? You make your own? You know, I love bacon...it's the whole "raising and slaughtering swine" that I'm not so keen on.
I remember reading older threads where people keep animals, many people have farms and things like that.

That being said, I wish I could make my own, but I don't have the land. Or the hogs. Or the know-how :)

If you want to make bacon go to the butcher and just buy the unprepared slab. Soak in a good brine and then cold smoke. MMMMMMMMMM

Bacon and miracle whip on white rules

Hey DaveyBoy...Here is the easiest recipe:

4 pounds raw pork belly
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup curing salt
1 gallon cold water, or as needed
1 (10 pound) bag charcoal briquettes
hickory or apple wood chips
(you can also add apple cider or maple syrup instead of all or part of the brown sugar or add more salt to kick it up a notch)

In a 2 gallon container, mix together the brown sugar, curing salt, and water. Submerge the pork belly in the mixture so that it is covered completely. If the meat floats, you can weigh it down with a dinner plate or similar object. Refrigerate covered for six days.

Rinse slab with cold water and hang slab from hooks for about 3 days to allow it to dry at a temp between 40-50 degrees.

Light charcoal in an outdoor cold smoker. Soak wood chips in a bowl of water. When the temperature of the smoker is between 110 and 120 degrees coals are ready. Hang and smoke the pork belly for 8-10 hours(longer if you want it smokier, throwing a handful of wood chips on the coals about once an hour. Store in the refrigerator. Slice and fry as you would with store-bought bacon.

DaveyBoy said:
Thanks! That's easier than I thought.

No problemo. and if you need a cold smoker you can make one real cheap, like 40 bucks and home despot.

P.S. I'm also the Minister at the First Church of Bacon & Holy Hand Grenades:drunk:

Kieva said:
No problemo. and if you need a cold smoker you can make one real cheap, like 40 bucks and home despot.

P.S. I'm also the Minister at the First Church of Bacon & Holy Hand Grenades:drunk:

It only takes 8-10 hours? I thought it took weeks/months to cure meat?

landhoney said:
It only takes 8-10 hours? I thought it took weeks/months to cure meat?

The curing part does take 6-7 days. then you have a 3-4 day dry time. Trust me a week in whatever cure you make will get through the pork belly. then with the dry time and cold smoke you will have all the yummy bacon you want in less than 2 weeks.

Crazytwoknobs said:
I think it says so on the bottle? It's totally plausible that my friend was messing with me.

I've never read that on the bottle, and I did a google search just to make sure. No dice.

I've see Scrumpy (cider) recipes that used meat and one old ale recipe that used chicken. Haven't tried either.

Bacon & beer: Wrap the bacon around toads, fry, dip in beer batter, deep fry. Serve with more beer.

Back